Other State Board Eligibility for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LydiaM*

Reaction score
Hello,

I heard that if IMG does their residency outside of the US, they can still be eligible for the State Board certification (not the American Board) if they work at the same hospital for 3-4 consecutive years (i.e through fellowship(s)).
Thus they could apply for the State Board exam of the State where the hospital is located and then work in that particular State (or same hospital?) as physicians.

Any info on this topic?
Is is true?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I heard that if IMG does their residency outside of the US, they can still be eligible for the State Board certification (not the American Board) if they work at the same hospital for 3-4 consecutive years (i.e through fellowship(s)).
Thus they could apply for the State Board exam of the State where the hospital is located and then work in that particular State (or same hospital?) as physicians.

Any info on this topic?
Is is true?

Thank you
There is no such thing as state board certification

I think you can get fellowships if you have done residency in your home country. Depends on each individual program. And if you have contacts. And also if ur prior institution was prestigious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can get fellowships if you have done residency in your home country. Depends on each individual program. And if you have contacts. And also if ur prior institution was prestigious.

I know someone who got a fellowship with out having done their residency.

If you do an ACGME-I accredited residency (an internationally accredited residency by the ACGME), you can apply to US Fellowships and have less hassles pulling a training license. Usually most fellowships are 1-3 yrs, which is what state board requires for licensure. States require 1-3 yrs of post graduate training (that training can be in form of residency or fellowship). Realistically you should aim for a 3 yr fellowship since most states require 3 yrs of PGY training in the USA.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user