Starting salary/ASTRO/ARRO Terry Wall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyHeenan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our group is looking at replacing a retiring physician and trying to get some objective data. We obviously understand lots of things go into account in coming up with a recruitment package, but when I was a resident Terry Wall's data was helpful. I participated in his surveys and found his lectures excellent.

Would anyone be willing to share any figures he presented this year for ASTRO/ARRO?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the session and wrote down the average starting salaries for private practice. Of note, he said he got ~50% response rate.
Median- 325k
Mean- 362k

Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user
It was around 1 million starting.

1331617_1.jpg

url

Reactions: 1 user
Our group is looking at replacing a retiring physician and trying to get some objective data. We obviously understand lots of things go into account in coming up with a recruitment package, but when I was a resident Terry Wall's data was helpful. I participated in his surveys and found his lectures excellent.

Would anyone be willing to share any figures he presented this year for ASTRO/ARRO?

Thanks.

I believe the unlikely possibility of buying the retiring partner out was mentioned. Has anybody actually heard of this happening for a newly graduated resident? What would a typical buy-out cost?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but I'm curious. You mean like just offer a full partnership position to a new graduate who they have never met or worked with for a certain amount of money (which would obviously have to be far more than the buy in for when partnership is offered after 3 years)?

I've never heard of such a thing but hey for the right price I guess anything is possible (no idea where a new grad would get that kind of cash though).

Has anybody heard of a more realistic option of paying more for the buy in after one year vs two vs three or up front for an experienced physician with whom the practice may have some degree of familiarity for whatever reason?

Sorry if I misinterpreted the question and I'm not interested but just curious (plus with the deteriorating job market I wonder if increasingly unusual setups may become more common).

In general, I would be very wary of groups having substantial "buy ins" if they don't own any equipment or brick and mortar assets. Sure, you can spin it as "buying into our referral network" but at least years ago this often was not a great deal to consider. Terry Wall in his lectures would often touch upon this.

As old king stated, typically a fresh out of residency person is not offered any sort of partnership year one or asked to buy in to practices that own equipment in year one. For a more experienced physician or one in which the group is familiar and confident working with, he/she may be offered an up front opportunity to buy in, but again, often there is a trial period to make sure all parties are happy before a partnership is agreed upon.