Stanford vs Michigan vs Duke - Value of Reputation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Operatin84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several acceptances...coming down between Stanford, Michigan, Duke (UCLA, UT SW, Vandy already out).

I am leaning heavy toward Michigan. Will someone please slap some sense into me before I end up in Ann Arbor over Stanford or Duke? Am I crazy. My parents tend to think so.

The only thing I worry about is "reputation." Will I forever regret giving up a bigger name for a Michigan? My mother put this gem of doubt into my head (likely over "mommy bragging rights").

Help. May 15 approaches.

Members don't see this ad.

For the laymen, Stanford is most well known, but don't for a second think UMich or Duke are second to Stanford. I'm in the best university in Korea in the college of biological sciences right now and everybody here respects UMich and Duke as one of the best American research institutes.

IMO you should pick where you would be most happy.
If you're already thinking whether or not you'll regret going to Mich, then go to Stanford, then you won't have to worry.

well first off this would be an awesome problem to have, but seriously if you feel that michigan was the best place for you then I would go there. You obviously are not from the midwest and probably not even from the east, but just to educate you, U of M has one of the best reputations of all med schools, and was one of the original public Ivys. Personally, I would choose Stanford last out of those three.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose the best fit period. If you liked U of M then go! Don't think about what is best known or most impressive. You got into a bunch of really great schools so there is no doubt that you will succeed in any med school that you choose.

Michigan and Duke will probably give you the most well-rounded medical educations........if an academic research career is your ultimate goal then I would consider Stanford. Don't get caught up in the names......pick where you will be the most comfortable.

great dilemma to have. I'm curious, why are your drawn to Michigan over the other two? It would really help if you would elaborate on your thoughts process regarding these schools. Do you have undergrad ties to U of M? Geographically, the three schools couldn't be more different--do you have family in one of the areas? I think we need more info from the OP before we can offer anonymous advice, which is always fun.

Michigan and Duke will probably give you the most well-rounded medical educations........if an academic research career is your ultimate goal then I would consider Stanford. Don't get caught up in the names......pick where you will be the most comfortable.

I think Duke is also an excellent choice for academic research because of their unique and research oriented curriculum.

These are all great schools! Congrats on having the choice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these places, but I'd personally choose Duke if I was in your shoes.

I am curious why you threw Vandy out of the mix? I know reputation-wise its not AS strong, but it is still a solid school, and students there were just so ... happy.

I am actually debating between duke and vandy as of now... i really like duke's curriculum, love the area (its home for me as well, and i've been away for a while), gorgeous campus... but intense first year. And Vandy's facilities and pure student satisfaction are very tempting...

Between the ones you're debating, I would personally go stanford or duke. But that's because I'm attracted to the unique programs, and turned off by cold weather. You can't go wrong!

So my thread started as a frustrated, late night rant... and now you want me to elaborate my thought process? Ugh!

Seriously though. I live in Cali right now, and I am originally from the South... no ties to Michigan and I don't know that I am especially thrilled about cold weather. That said, Michigan was by far the best interview experience. The people were incredible. Smart, interesting, diverse--I was impressed at the number of students I talked to that turned down places like Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn to come to Michigan. Smart kids that weren't concerned about "name-chasing."

Michigan was the one place that really really really stressed the importance of having a life outside of medical school. And by that they meant just hanging out, sleeping, whatever. I am drawn to the idea of a well-rounded experience. Also, having more free time allows for you to actually get involved in research and pursue academic interests. Most schools that I went to *talked* about research and other opportunities, but most of the students I talked to didn't even know anyone that really did anything other than study.

They also gave me lots of money so that never hurt.

Reasons for not wanting to goto other schools:

Vandy - great place, happy students. They spent the most time in class or in lab of any school I went to . I can't help but feel like some of my other options offer more opportunities.

Stanford - very very very research-centric. Most students were researchers first, students second. I have been in research for a while, got plenty of pubs, and frankly just want to have the student experience a bit. I also think that there is value in my going to another part of the country, since I have been in Cali for 7 years now.

Duke - loved it. Too many people (from all over) have referred to it as a "pressure cooker." Too hard core. Keep in mind I am in Cali now, so laid back (but still producing) is my thing.

My one issue with Michigan (and I know it's stupid): The name. I was initially super stoked but my mother (who tends to brag, as all mothers do), keeps mentioning that "none of my friends have even heard of Michigan being a good school." I try to not think about it, but there is that nagging part of me that wonders if I am crazy to give up a Stanford or Duke. I dunno.... There is also that bear in the room (freezing cold).

That's the thought process. Obviously there are many other things, but my fingers don't want to type any more!

Thanks for all of your insight!

So my thread started as a frustrated, late night rant... and now you want me to elaborate my thought process? Ugh!

Seriously though. I live in Cali right now, and I am originally from the South... no ties to Michigan and I don't know that I am especially thrilled about cold weather. That said, Michigan was by far the best interview experience. The people were incredible. Smart, interesting, diverse--I was impressed at the number of students I talked to that turned down places like Harvard, Stanford, and UPenn to come to Michigan. Smart kids that weren't concerned about "name-chasing."

Michigan was the one place that really really really stressed the importance of having a life outside of medical school. And by that they meant just hanging out, sleeping, whatever. I am drawn to the idea of a well-rounded experience. Also, having more free time allows for you to actually get involved in research and pursue academic interests. Most schools that I went to *talked* about research and other opportunities, but most of the students I talked to didn't even know anyone that really did anything other than study.

Vandy - great place, happy students. They spent the most time in class or in lab of any school I went to . I can't help but feel like some of my other options offer more opportunities.

Stanford - very very very research-centric. Most students were researchers first, students second. I have been in research for a while, got plenty of pubs, and frankly just want to have the student experience a bit. I also think that there is value in my going to another part of the country, since I have been in Cali for 7 years now.

Duke - loved it. Too many people (from all over) have referred to it as a "pressure cooker." Too hard core. Keep in mind I am in Cali now, so laid back (but still producing) is my thing.

My one issue with Michigan (and I know it's stupid): The name. I was initially super stoked but my mother (who tends to brag, as all mothers do), keeps mentioning that "none of my friends have even heard of Michigan being a good school." I try to not think about it, but there is that nagging part of me that wonders if I am crazy to give up a Stanford or Duke. I dunno.... There is also that bear in the room (freezing cold).

That's the thought process. Obviously there are many other things, but my fingers don't want to type any more!

Hey OP, I totally get that, but if you really and do truly want to go to Michigan and decide it's best for you, just sweetly tell her that they're giving you a lot of money, and if she or her friends would like to pay up, then of course you'll go to Stanford (say it laughingly of course). Your mother may have your best interests at heart, but she has no idea what it would be like to be a student at Duke or Stanford and you are the one who is going to have to deal with it.

OP, when you say that you've got money to go to Michigan, how much cheaper would it be? I say if you've got financial reasons to go to U mich, you liked it there more than the others (as you've said) and you don't mind the cold, then that would be an awesome deal!

Otherwise, I'd go with Stanford. Great name (it's got what your mom is looking for) and probably not as crazy-crammed of a first year as Duke. That's just me, though. Hey, you asked. ;)

Congrats on the awesome acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OP, I totally get that, but if you really and do truly want to go to Michigan and decide it's best for you, just sweetly tell her that they're giving you a lot of money, and if she or her friends would like to pay up, then of course you'll go to Stanford (say it laughingly of course). Your mother may have your best interests at heart, but she has no idea what it would be like to be a student at Duke or Stanford and you are the one who is going to have to deal with it.
:thumbup:

If you have money at Michigan AND had the best experience there, definitely go for it. It's outstanding reputation is recognized by everyone who will matter at all for your future residency and career. The only real issue is the cold...

I do agree that it would be hard to throw Vandy in with the pool of schools you have. I am having a hard time with the decision because when you look at only Vandy vs. Duke, i.e. happiness vs. intensity, it's not such a clear call.

You can't go wrong with any of your options - congrats and good luck with the choice!

If the cold and your mother will become non issues down the line, go to Michigan. Its cheaper and you liked it more and its an awesome school!

Don't underestimate the bleak difference in climate between your choices...the upper midwest absolutely sucks in the winter, from November to April...there will be days in October and also May when you will freeze your behind off, too...clearly this should be a secondary reason, but it is a very real consideration.

Having said that, follow the money.

Mothers might be great for emotional support, but choosing your medical school based off their advice might not be the best choice. I know my mom thought MD/PhD's were useless and most people with them were really awkward based off talking to one person.

If she wants to brag, give her this: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/med/search

UM is almost identically ranked to Stanford in research and is way higher in primary care.

who cares if your mom's friends have heard of it? honestly from what you've said i dont think michigan is for you, you would probably fit right in at stanford.

I'm pretty sure UM has a very good reputation among people in the field, which is all that should matter to you anyway.

Anyway, if you really felt that strongly about UM, then that is where you will probably be happiest. Choosing the other schools because of a presumed better reputation, just to make your mother happy, seems silly.

go with her decision. My mom is very good in researching different aspects of med schools. I was home when I was selecting schools to apply and we did the search together and she was able to provide a lot of good information just by searching on the web. Her friends were giving her third hand information that were not accurate. She was able to sort things out and was able to help me out. I will be going bak to her later this month for advice in choosing the school.

Get her involved in your selection process that way both of you will be happy. She will be able to defend your choice when her friends come over.

Last edited:
who cares if your mom's friends have heard of it? honestly from what you've said i dont think michigan is for you, you would probably fit right in at stanford.

I'm curious to know what it was that I said that makes you think I would fit right into Stanford... As far as the thing with my mom--I am not TOO concerned about her opinion--but you can't honestly tell me that if that is put into your mind, it wouldn't at least be something worth thinking about.

I'm mostly hoping to be educated here... The case I am presenting is that I loved Michigan over every place I visited--but I am conflicted by the fact that an pre-application, uneducated version of myself would have never thought I would feel that way...

I'm sick of the rat race and honestly don't feel the prestige in a laymen's eyes matters. As long as the people that need to know (residency directors) have a good opinion of the place, that's all I need to hear.

but I am conflicted by the fact that an pre-application, uneducated version of myself would have never thought I would feel that way...

wow you sound like me last application cycle..i felt the exact same way when i was deciding b/w baylor and umich...honestly, i initially applied to umich just b/c it was a top 10 school...after visiting there, i later couldn't deny that it was my best interview experience...i had a very hard time deciding between umich and baylor, partly because of family constraints and partly because they were just two great schools, and i ended up going w/ umich at the last minute ...ill PM you my reasons after i post since it's kinda long..

i cant say much abt stanford besides their obvious rep, but my cousin went to duke and her first yr was definitely very rough...she came out alright, but cramming all the sciences into one year was definitely hell for her and she didnt have much time for a life outside of school...however, she told me her second year was MUCH more chill... i wish i had more specifics to give you about duke, but that's about all i really know

wow you sound like me last application cycle..i felt the exact same way when i was deciding b/w baylor and umich...honestly, i initially applied to umich just b/c it was a top 10 school...after visiting there, i later couldn't deny that it was my best interview experience...i had a very hard time deciding between umich and baylor, partly because of family constraints and partly because they were just two great schools, and i ended up going w/ umich at the last minute ...ill PM you my reasons after i post since it's kinda long..

Sorry to hijack, but I happen to be trying to decide between Baylor and UMich as well. I'd really be interested in hearing about why you choose one over the other, if you don't mind.

hi there,
i'm a stanford med alum who's now back on the east coast for residency. first off CONGRATS on the great choices!!! you really can't go wrong from a training standpoint and i think you should probably focus where you'll "feel" the best fit will be. i obviously didn't go to michigan but i loved their interview day and was impressed with their med students. don't know much about duke but you should definitely check out the 2nd-looks for all three. as for some of your specific concerns about stanford:

-you're right, stanford is definitely a "research" heavy place. however....this is really big for medical students.....the curriculum really lets you do what you want of it. which is beautiful. many classmates of mine took the tons of elective time (almost 9 months) to travel around the world, work in clinics in the US or abroad, or just chill and relax (i can't tell you how many of my classmates got funding to "study" spanish in peru or french in cameroon, etc). so if you wanna do research you'll have tons of funding and free time to do it....but if you want to do something else like bone up on your clinical skills or explore other passions in life, you can totally do that

-another great feature is that you have no limit on taking classes outside of the med school.....i took advanced french and two years of modern standard arabic all on stanford med's tab while i was in school. thank you stanford

-a big thing thing to consider is that stanford is truly pass/fail...all 4 years. and all the classes preclinically are videotaped.......enough said. you wanted life balance.....you will be able to "go" to class (or watch videos in your pajamas), then golf the back nine of stanford's golf course for $15.....in december. :)

-lastly, while i believe in karma.....the ridiculous thing is that despite golfing or kayaking every week for almost 4 years on a weekly basis, taking random art/language classes for 2 years (harder to do in clinics), and having enough elective time to travel to countries i never dreamed of, our class still had the highest board scores in the country (236....you can google this, our dean talked about it in his dean's newsletter for the class of 2007 in 2005 i think), and over 90% of us matched at out top 3. i'm now at a harvard combined program (mass general/brigham) and while i love the training here, ii really feel that i was blessed to have had my med school experience at stanford. my clinical training prepared me well for the "east coast" hospital system, and i actually look back on med school with very pleasant memories...and not just battle stories (though you will gather those no matter where you go).

best of luck to you!!! please let me know if there is any other questions or comments you had about stanford! :)

I'm not sure who those people are, but I can't imagine they went to Duke for medical school (probably people who decided not to). I'm definitely a relaxed, low-pressure person and I found it to be perfect in that regard. You're the one that generates your own propulsion there, but everyone is around to help you when you do so. Definitely never felt much pressure from anyone except for myself and I like to think I turned out okay as a result.

Funny that I'm in the exact same boat, including the scholarship to Michigan. I'm leaning towards Stanford right now personally, and I'd be lying to say that the prestige isn't part of that decision. Although ranking wise and reputation in the medical field are probably comparable, Stanford just has the overall layman's prestige thing going, and I'm thinking I may work internationally or even go into policy development, where the name might help open doors. I am still deciding though, and although I can't make 2nd look for Duke because I have to work this weekend, I will be going to Michigan and Stanford.

For me, I like the pure pass/fail, which Michigan doesn't have. Weather is also a huge factor for me, as well as vicinity to home, since I haven't been back to California in a while (originally from SoCal, and went to UCSD, who can't seem to figure out who they accepted and rejected). I am concerned about the research focus of Stanford as well. As I mentioned, I'm more into policy, and very much less into science, but it seems as though they are pretty flexible. I am also concerned that Stanford lacks a public health program, but there is a lot of great work being done in terms of health policy and some on health disparities (so I guess my word of advice is also look to see if there's faculty/programs you'd like to work with on your area of interest). On that note, I think one of the draws for me really are the other schools and being able to take classes outside of the medical school. I'm also really attracted to the small class size, I'm hoping it'll be more of a chance to get to know people, but I could be wrong about that. Finally, I'm drooling about the new building that would be ready for our second year. That looks awesome! I like shiney new things.

It is a tough tough choice though, because University of Michigan does have a unique energy about it that Stanford just kinda lacks. UofM just seems to be happier, prouder, and more nurturing of an environment. It also seems to be more fun and more relaxed. And I could be wrong about this, but UofM seems more focused on their students and education than Stanford does... I don't know why I got that impression, but I did.

Duke's unique curriculum is what I'm drawn to about that school, as well as the small class size that Stanford also has. I'm slowly losing interest in Duke though, for no strong reason, but it just doesn't seem to stand out like the other two to me.

I don't know, as I mentioned, I'm in the same boat, but maybe some of my brain diarrhea will help you think through some ideas. Good luck.

Last edited:
Although ranking wise and reputation in the medical field are probably comparable, Stanford just has the overall layman's prestige thing going, and I'm thinking I may work internationally or even go into policy development, where the name might help open doors.

Actually in the medical field, Duke has the "bigger" name. Stanford has the better name recognition for general academics.

does stanford have something like this where current medical students can answer questions/talk about their experiences there if nothing else? kind of like umich's student blog. that might help.

This is a funny thread. Mr. OP, there is really, honest to god, not just saying so because it's the thing to say on SDN, no difference in the academic reputations of those three medical schools. Really. And we're not just talking USnews reputation, none of those programs has only recently jumped to the top. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan had the richer history.

So, if you are trying to decide based on reputation, you are in for a difficult time trying to distinguish between those three.

If you're trying to decide based on curriculum, local factors, look and feel, etc... those three are drastically different.

If you're interested in my advice, don't underestimate the importance of two factors on your hapiness:

1) climate (huge in Stanford's favor--Duke is muggy and nasty in the summer, Michigan is freezing in the winter and muggy in the summer). If you've lived in the south, you know how you deal with humidity, but since you've never lived in the upper midwest, think long and hard about how you feel about those winters

2) money--if the michigan money is significant, this can really impact your peace of mind. There are few top notch schools that offer significant money. michigan is one of them. this is more likely to be the thing you end up slapping yourself silly about when you're trying to pay the bills during residency.

My biased opinion is that Duke rules. You said that you wanted a laid back/chill/whatever environment. There is no better place than Duke for that. Where else do you essentially get to finish med school is 2 years? (only Duke) Plus, it's not a pressure cooker or whatever you said because we don't have any grade competition here. The only pressure is the pressure you put on yourself. Plus, Duke has awesome weather, cheap living, a beautiful campus, a beautiful beach a few hours away, and very normal, down to earth classmates. You probably won't go wrong either way, but Duke is pretty baller.

There are few top notch schools that offer significant money. michigan is one of them. this is more likely to be the thing you end up slapping yourself silly about when you're trying to pay the bills during residency.

Most loans go into deferment during residency for 3 years, then forbearance depending on your salary and loan amount (true for most). The impact of the loans is greatest on your first 10 years post-residency.

Most loans go into deferment during residency for 3 years, then forbearance depending on your salary and loan amount (true for most). The impact of the loans is greatest on your first 10 years post-residency.
Deferment will be dead by the time we get to residency, I think that's set to expire later this year or something.

Deferment will be dead by the time we get to residency, I think that's set to expire later this year or something.

No, it won't ever "die." They don't pay residents enough to make loan payments on average or even slightly below average debt. We'd see a complete collapse in the ability of young doctors to stay off the streets while doing a residency or fellowship.

No, it won't ever "die." They don't pay residents enough to make loan payments on average or even slightly below average debt. We'd see a complete collapse in the ability of young doctors to stay off the streets while doing a residency or fellowship.
Deferment is different from forbearance, right? Deferment is when you don't pay and your loans don't accumulate interest? I had thought that was ending in the next year or so in exchange for forbearance, where you don't pay but the interest does accumulate.

Layman prestige are mostly associated with undergrad rankings, hence the perceived: stanford>duke>>>UWash for example; but of course everyone in the field know that these are equally good institutions, and if the layman is really into prestige, US News states stanford<duke=<UWash.

So I'd tell my mom to tell her friends to look at the MED ranking not COLLEGE ranking for prestige.

Which is also why people think House is awesome b/c he's in Princeton, despite the fact that they don't even have a med school :laugh: .

Good luck.

As a former Duke student, please allow me to dispel this annoyingly persistent myth about our curriculum. Duke Med is in no way, shape or form a "high pressure" environment, at least not any more than any other medical school. People who say this have not been Duke students. While Duke students work hard, it's not any more so than other med students, and often perhaps even less so (in a good way, not a slacker kind of way, as I'll explain). I strongly encourage you to do a search about this in the forums here, as several of us have discussed this topic on countless occasions, and have worked diligently to dispel this myth. You owe this to yourself as you approach a very important, difficult decision...it's crucial that you be as informed as possible, with good, quality information rather than rumor and hearsay. Read through those posts and you'll get a sense from many different posters who've actually been through it that the Duke environment is actually an incredibly supportive, close-knit, unique one that provides some amazing opportunities that you should really think twice about passing up.

The presumption about "intensity" comes from the false assumption that we somehow cram 2 years of basic science into 1 year. It's just not true! In fact, Duke basically cuts out almost half of what's covered at other schools, and only teaches the core topics that are necessary for taking step 1. Coupled with a slightly longer first year without a 3 month-long summer break and voila, you get to start clinicals a year earlier! The summer break is kind of wasteful at most places...you're basically expected to do research for most of it, so it's not like you get real time off. But I digress...here's how the pre-clinical thing works out. At other schools you'll likely take courses in dermatology, orthopedics, radiology, and the like during your pre-clinical years, whereas at Duke we recognize that these topics are much better learned and integrated in the context of patient care, on the wards, so we don't teach them didactically. You'll pick them up along the way, and you'll remember them better when you actually see them, instead of just cramming it in for an exam and promptly forgetting it thereafter. This is a critically important point. Honestly, the pre-clinical courses aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things...you really learn medicine by taking care of patients, and it is only through seeing pathology in action that you'll actually remember it for the long-haul. Now that I'm about to finish my residency training, I recognize how little value my pre-clinical coursework really had, and how incredibly important my ward experiences have been. But for some reason people seem to focus on the pre-clinical concerns when thinking about Duke's curriculum, instead of recognizing the incredible educational advantage we're given by getting onto the wards an entire year earlier. Plus, Duke students have some of the highest board scores of any US medical school, and have a tradition of incredibly successful match placements, so we're clearly doing something right!

I had friends from college who went to med schools all over the country, and in talking with them I felt like we spent about the same amount of time on pre-clinical topics as they did, and that they were often working quite a bit harder than I was. In part, this is because Duke does a superb job of cutting our the proverbial fat from traditional pre-clinical curricula. This means that less of your time is wasted covering things you probably don't need to know, and with the incredible volume of information in medicine there's clearly always WAY more than you can possibly ever learn and retain. In this way, Duke is much more considerate of your time than other schools, especially in light of the streaming/recorded lectures now. Plus, as history demonstrates you'll be more than prepared for the Step 1 exam, but you won't have wasted as much of your valuable time with your nose buried in a book instead of taking care of and reading about patients.

I could go on and on extolling the virtues of the Duke curriculum, but it's all been done here before. You should definitely do some searches and read through those posts, as we haven't even scratched the surface about so many other incredible advantages of Duke, including the 3rd year research/dual-degree opportunities, scholarship opportunities, advantages of the Duke healthcare system and the local patient population, financial aid, faculty, etc. etc. Good luck with your difficult decision, and feel free to ask me further questions about Duke. I've been incredibly happy here, for countless reasons, and opted to stay here for residency. I would definitely choose Duke again in a heartbeat, and feel very strongly that the Duke curriculum and other unique opportunities put me in a great position for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.