SLU vs IU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoosierpride99

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’ve been lucky enough to get 2 acceptances and I am having a very hard time choosing between IU and SLU. I am from Indiana, but my fiancé is from Saint Louis and I am also very close with their family!

IU pros:
-Very familiar with Indiana as a state
-Would get to rotate through Riley Childrens (want to be a pediatrician)
-In state tuition, though I might try to do the National loan forgiveness program that requires you to work primary care in an underserved area, so I’m not sure how big of a deal this is

IU cons:
-it’s unnerving that I wouldn’t know what campus I’m assigned to until ~April
-I’ve been in/near Indiana my whole life and it might be nice to try something new

SLU pros:
-the community seems very close from what I can tell!
-they have a large clinic that students volunteer at for uninsured patients, and this is right up my alley (not sure if there are similar opportunities at IU?)

SLU cons:
-More expensive
-There was a problem a while back with their accreditation

Unknowns: how happy are students with their rotations? Are these schools true p/f? If anyone is a student at either school please PM me :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I don't have any more information here, but just to add on to the last part, SLU is a true P/F school without internal rankings. I've talked to a couple SLU students and they confirmed this. Also far as accreditation goes, it doesn't seem like it's had any effect because SLU's match list every year is strong

What’s the cost difference looking like? Haven’t checked too far into the loan forgiveness for underserved areas program, but I believe the government (for the federal level) was being really picky about which ones they designated as such.

IU has a free clinic at one of their branch campuses in a recent story:

I think they probably would have similar opportunities at other locations too.