Mayo (AZ) vs Long vs IU (Terre Haute) vs SLU vs UIC (RMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qrpar

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post here, and after reading a lot of other threads, I decided that I might want to post my own and get some tailored advice. Sorry for the long list, but they are all genuinely in consideration.

I have some general Pro's and Con's for the schools, but really I do not know the significance of each item in the long run. Any input is valued! Thanks.

Some background, I am from rural Indiana, went to school in rural Illinois, and thinking (not sure) of going into a primary care field. Many of the schools have yet to send out financial aid packages, but at this point, I have pretty much come to terms with taking out loans. A few times I mention how responsive/great the admissions staff is, as I hope this is somewhat reflective of faculty/staff on campus.

Mayo Clinic (AZ)
Pros
  • Name recognition
  • #1 hospital system in the world
  • Very responsive and friendly admissions team
  • P/F curriculum (I think this is a pro?)
  • Matching with residencies looks good
  • Plenty of options outside primary care
Cons
  • Split campus between Phoenix and Scottsdale
  • AZ campus is away from Rochester hub (significant? maybe)
  • ~$100k COA
  • In a desert, little greenery (are water shortages a concern at medical school?)

Long SOM
Pros
  • Student life looks great
  • Plenty of options outside primary care
  • Urban, but feels less concentrated
  • Large hospital system
  • Offered in-state tuition
  • ~50k COA
Cons
  • Not P/F (I think this is a con? More competitive?)
  • Less matching outside of Texas
  • Less name recognition outside of Texas
  • Admissions staff not very attentive
  • Class size (~200)

Indiana (Terre Haute)
Pros
  • In-state tuition (~60K COA)
  • Close to home (not always sure that's a pro lol)
  • Focus on rural primary care
  • Small community feel
  • Plenty of opportunities to match with Indiana primary care residencies
  • Loan repayment in Indiana
Cons
  • shares campus with ISU undergrads
  • Fewer resources
  • Same old Indiana

SLU
Pros
  • Large hospital system with plenty of connections
  • Very responsive admissions
  • Options outside primary care
Cons
  • ~85K COA
  • Accreditation probation in 2017 (not sure how accurate that rumor is, but still scary)
  • St. Louis is not my favorite city
  • In the shadow of Wash U

UIC (RMED)
Pros
  • Focus on rural primary care
  • Long record of training rural primary care physicians
  • Close community feel
  • Student interaction seems very genuine and friendly
  • Great admissions staff
Cons
  • Not known for specialties outside primary care
  • ~113K COA (HOW?)
  • Rockford location
  • Seems like fewer resources than UIC in Chicago
Summary: I am lucky to have options but now I'm considering closing my eyes and picking one. Is there really a wrong choice? Looking to see if anyone has any pros or cons that I may have missed. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I speak for most people when I say that UIC is clearly the wrong choice. 113K is mind-boggling and hard to justify, especially when you have other options that are cheaper and higher ranked.

Also I thought Mayo hasn't released decisions yet?

Reactions: 1 users
I think I speak for most people when I say that UIC is clearly the wrong choice. 113K is mind-boggling and hard to justify, especially when you have other options that are cheaper and higher ranked.

Also I thought Mayo hasn't released decisions yet?
I wouldn't even consider UIC RMED except for the fact that my pre-med advisor (whom I keep in contact with regularly) is really all in for me going there. He has numerous connections so I feel groomed to attend RMED lol

Mayo hasn't released acceptances, but they keep calling me asking what they can do to ensure they are top on my ranking list (I told them they were top 5 last time). I feel that I am in a good position to be accepted by them, but you are correct. No formal acceptance yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would be picking between Long and Mayo AZ. If Mayo AZ loves you that much, maybe it's worth seeing if they can reduce your financial burden and mention this concern the next time they call you. Assuming they are the same price, I'm sure you would say Mayo AZ without a doubt.

I'm also in the same boat of wanting to pick schools that I like more for the culture, curriculum, and location over my Texas schools but my Texas options are also ridiculously affordable. It's hard to say no to a school that will put you in half as much debt.

Personally, I would be picking between Long and Mayo AZ. If Mayo AZ loves you that much, maybe it's worth seeing if they can reduce your financial burden and mention this concern the next time they call you. Assuming they are the same price, I'm sure you would say Mayo AZ without a doubt.

I'm also in the same boat of wanting to pick schools that I like more for the culture, curriculum, and location over my Texas schools but my Texas options are also ridiculously affordable. It's hard to say no to a school that will put you in half as much debt.
Texas does seem to be all-around more affordable, but I also don't want to dismiss a school for cost when there's a high probability of having loans forgiven, paid off quickly, etc. Especially when those schools could have greater chances of matching with non-Texas residencies. But who knows, maybe I will end up wanting to stay in Texas!

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't even consider UIC RMED except for the fact that my pre-med advisor (whom I keep in contact with regularly) is really all in for me going there. He has numerous connections so I feel groomed to attend RMED lol

Mayo hasn't released acceptances, but they keep calling me asking what they can do to ensure they are top on my ranking list (I told them they were top 5 last time). I feel that I am in a good position to be accepted by them, but you are correct. No formal acceptance yet.
Sorry to say that you should’ve told them they are your no.1. No.5 sounds like you don’t really want to go there. And Mayo is notorious about this kind of stuff. If you get in there, it’s the best option among all.

Sorry to say that you should’ve told them they are your no.1. No.5 sounds like you don’t really want to go there. And Mayo is notorious about this kind of stuff. If you get in there, it’s the best option among all.
Gosh, I didn't even think about it like that. To be clear, I said they were in my top five, not ranked number five, maybe that makes a difference lol. I guess we will see in February!

I don’t think it’s the end of the world. They can always reach back out and show interest. However, from a recruitment standpoint, by saying Mayo AZ is their number one, the school loses all incentive to throw them a merit based scholarship. Risky strategy but it could be worth the reward?

I don’t think it’s the end of the world. They can always reach back out and show interest. However, from a recruitment standpoint, by saying Mayo AZ is their number one, the school loses all incentive to throw them a merit based scholarship. Risky strategy but it could be worth the reward?
I was hoping the same thing, can't let them get too comfortable lol!

I was hoping the same thing, can't let them get too comfortable lol!
Hopefully, but I believe Mayo is generous with financial aid already. Past applicants have reported getting scholarships even if they submitted a letter of intent.