Should I let Med-Peds PD know my Step II score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Furio83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying med-peds and I got my score last Wednesday and I'm not sure if I should release it and/or contact the PDs to let them know I passed. Both my Step I and II scores are 221. Is that too low of a Step 2 score to report?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying med-peds and I got my score last Wednesday and I'm not sure if I should release it and/or contact the PDs to let them know I passed. Both my Step I and II scores are 221. Is that too low of a Step 2 score to report?

Step 2 averages are higher, so worst case it could be considered slightly worse performance. But I don't think it will make a difference if you do or don't update them. I guess you could use it as an excuse to email the PDs and stay on their respective radars.

Wow. Have you thought about beauty school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Have you thought about beauty school?

Wow. Your bedside manner must be something. I hope you'll be joining us in med-peds, you'll fit right in. :thumbdown:

It's just the medicine side talking, no biggee

Wow. Your bedside manner must be something. I hope you'll be joining us in med-peds, you'll fit right in. :thumbdown:

Looks like someone is a big "P"....

The point I was trying to make is that 221 isn't a bad score, and this is just another example of the glorious anxiety that breeds here on SDN like E. Coli on a Chick-Fil-A hamburger. To let you in on a little secret, I scored a fair bit below 221 on Step 2, but God help us, but I'll still be a real M.D. in a couple months. In a med-peds program near you. Hide your children.

So Bernito (or Furio), if I offended either of you, I apologize for my big "M'' tendencies. :thumbup:

Let me give you the perspective of a PD on step 2 and applications. We know lots of applicants play games, show us the good stuff and hide the bad. Some even fake activities, research, clinical experience on their applications, inflate their involvement, copy, steal, plagerize or purchase personal statements. Beware, We verify what you say and if we find it isn't true you are much worse off than if you had not written it.

If we do not see your step 2 score by the middle of February we assume that it is significantly lower. Either you haven't taken it or you have and you haven't released it. If you delay taking step 2 so it won't be available most of us will assume that you are not confident in your clinical knowledge and will probably do worse. This is especially true if you have a score that is average or below. If you scored lower than you think you should schedule step 2 early and prepare well for it. Furthermore, I would rather have someone who is straight forward, tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and has lower scores than someone who is seems to be playing games with us and probably will continue to do so in residency. We don't need that.

In general we do not put a lot of weight on USMLE scores anyway. I think most PD's tend to look for a rise in scores on step 2 over the step 1 scores since it reflects more of what you will be doing in residency. So if we have to assume that it is lower it will not be in your favor.

I am sorry to be blunt about this but we see it every year. Hopefully third year students will read this and learn as they make their plans for next year.

Most programs like to see you do "well enough".. and 221 is well enough. One thing to point out though: Med-Peds (like other combined programs) will require you to sit for two discrete specialty exams every 7-10 years for the rest of your life. This means you need to be able to pass a test... PD's worry about grads not passing the specialty boards after they've been trained as residents... Too many post-program fails can look bad to potential applicants (right?). You've demonstrated the PD can have confidence in your ability to pass a test.

I received my step 2 score today and it was lower than 200 and so was my step 1 score. I'm not that great at taking standardized exams. I always pass standardized exams but I never do "great". Even my MCAT was right at the average mark. I understand that in a residency program PD's want to have a measuring stick for everyone because it makes it easier to compare applicants but does a score determine rather you are going to be a good doctor or not? I don't believe so. Programs have yet to create an assessment of how good a doctor you're going to be because there are so many factors that go into being a good doctor, so why is it that we create cut-off points based solely upon step scores. Is it to shorten the application pile? I just don't understand why there is so much significance placed on a score when it really doesn't determine your future success as a doctor. I know doctors and students who have scored below average and have even failed step exams and licensing exams but when they are asked about management or diagnosis they know their material. It seems as though knowing your material does not always translate into a "good" score.

Bakfiets said:
Most programs like to see you do "well enough".. and 221 is well enough. One thing to point out though: Med-Peds (like other combined programs) will require you to sit for two discrete specialty exams every 7-10 years for the rest of your life. This means you need to be able to pass a test... PD's worry about grads not passing the specialty boards after they've been trained as residents... Too many post-program fails can look bad to potential applicants (right?). You've demonstrated the PD can have confidence in your ability to pass a test.

I know I can pass an exam. But I have serious doubts about passing with a better than average score. Its always been that way. But I believe I am going to be a good physician because I care enough about patients to not only read because I enjoy it but because I want to make sure I know my material. I want to be the best physician I can be for my patient. I don't ever want to make errors or mistakes that could have been prevented by just knowing your material. I am confident in the fact that I will never become relaxed about learning up-to-date and evidenced based medicine for my patient. For me, it's about the welfare of my patient when it comes to studying.