STEP 2 in med peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehopefuldoctor23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to charting the outcomes med peds has an average step 2 score of 250, I feel like thats relatively high especially when you consider other specialties. I'm speculating that PD's really value a high step 2 score possibly due to the fact that a lot of content tested on step 2 seems to pertain to med peds, does anyone know if I'm on the right track with my thought process?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told on the MP interview trail by a PD that step 2 is more indicative of your likelihood to pass the boards so it'd make sense that a high step 2 score is desired since you have to pass two boards instead of just one. That's just my guess though; I could be totally wrong.

Med peds (and any other combined residency) is often considered the equivalent of a "double major", and the training is much more rigorous since you're condensing 6 years of residency training into 4 and getting two board certifications out of it. Low step scores may be worrisome that an applicant may not have what it takes to handle such training. Again, just my two cents!

Reactions: 1 user
According to charting the outcomes med peds has an average step 2 score of 250, I feel like thats relatively high especially when you consider other specialties. I'm speculating that PD's really value a high step 2 score possibly due to the fact that a lot of content tested on step 2 seems to pertain to med peds, does anyone know if I'm on the right track with my thought process?
Like every specialty, there is a broad range. Do well, do your best to bring the step 2 grade above step 1 (like everyone else). There are programs for everyone. Of course there are always folks who don't match, but I can tell you from watching the process that there are current MP residents who failed step 1 or 2. It's the other things they bring to the table and whether or not they improved.

Honestly, just do your best. Your chance of matching into med-peds is honestly high based on charting the outcomes as long as you haven't failed any step scores and you apply broadly. Based on 2020 charting the match, 100% of med-peds applicants who ranked 8 or more med-peds programs matched.