Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robertfth

Reaction score
1. GPA: cGPA: 3.92 sGPA. 3.90 (Senior atm)

2. MCAT: 523 (131/129/131/132)

3. Residence: Illinois res

4. Ethnicity: White

5. Clinical experience: ~50 hours volunteering at a hospital currently but will get more over this semester and the following year

6. Research: 4 years of research, with three full-time summers in a Bioengineering lab at my university (~2,500 hours), with one third-author publication (there's another under review atm, and a third that's in the process of being submitted, but I'm not sure if those will appear this cycle). I was involved with a couple really cool projects and I was also able to design a presentation for local kids for our lab's open house and an out-reach thing at our local school. A second full time experience in a Swedish lab that was cut short due to COVID-19 (~260 hours).

7. Shadowing: I have none, COVID-19 shut down my local hospital's shadowing program. But I'm signed up in case they open it back up this summer.

8. Volunteering: I will have about ~250 hours at Crisis text line talking to people in crisis and I'll have more future hours during the cycle.

9. Other: I worked as a biodiesel quality control assistant at a club at my university for a year (~60 hours). I just started an internship with a Healthcare organization to revamp how they visualize our county's health statistics (maybe like 30 hours by the application, but a lot more future hours since it's just starting to gear up). I was a mentor for entering freshmen at my honor's society for a semester. I have a lot of political volunteering, knocking on doors, registering people to vote (~60 hours) and a couple of political clubs at my college (~100 hours) one even paid for me to go to a conference in DC. I'm also a technical scuba diver with a number of certifications (including rescue diving)(~150 hours) I'm not actually sure about the full hours, since I only log the time I spend actually underwater.

10. Honors: Honor's society, Deans list ~5 times, expected to graduate with Latin honors

I was on a more traditional Ph.D. track until about a year and a half ago when a couple of M.D/Ph.D students got me more interested in this track, so I kept myself busy but not really with clinical related activities. I was planning on doing more clinical work last year and this year to beef up my application but COVID hit and pretty much destroyed my ability to work in a hospital (I lived with at-risk father until last semester). I'm trying to catch up with more clinical stuff, but it's really difficult since our hospitals are not really taking volunteers without the vaccine. I'm going to get vaccinated in a bit, but it might not give me a lot of time to catch up on clinical hours until after my application. I'm wondering if I stand a shot at all this cycle or if I should just accept being a regular Ph.D. student.

Members don't see this ad.

You have enough research, clinical (given current circumstances) and volunteering experiences. Your stats are above average. State of residency does not matter for MD/PhD programs. However, you still must apply broadly as there are only a couple of programs with more than 20 slots and only 13 with >13 slots. If you apply to 20 MSTP programs, you should have enough interest... PM me if needed.