self-selection?? and a few other q's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoetMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an M2 and greatly interested in neurosurgery. I have a few questions about the neurosurgery app process....so here goes:

1) Assuming you're a US senior and one of the unlucky 17% that did not match this year, is it possible to go ahead and get that required general surgery year out of the way whilst reapplying for nsg??

2) Also, do people applying to nsg generally apply to general surgery at the same time as a fall back option? Is this common or look down upon?

3) I've heard a lot about the "self-selection" of the nsg applicant pool. What does this mean exactly? Because it seems to me that even if you were an avg student with avg boards (220-225) and no AOA, if you really had your heart set on it and the enthusiasm there'd be no reason not to go for it, right? (assume you've got some strong letters from ppl in the field, worked on a few projects, etc etc).

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. not always since you often do more than just general surgery in that first year. The requirements from the board are just 6 months of general surgery.

2. No. But some probably do. It will always be looked down upon to be applying to mutiple specialties at the same time...to all specialties involved.

3. Give it a shot. The worst will be that you don't get a spot.

MPP-- thanks a lot
in regards to your answer for #3: if you don't get the spot, is your only real option, if you are-dead set on ns, to then stick it out for a year doing research and reapply? Is this what most "non-matchees" do or do most people go ahead and scramble into a GS spot, going a different route altogether (from your experience in running these boards and going thru the process yourself)?
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
2. No. But some probably do. It will always be looked down upon to be applying to mutiple specialties at the same time...to all specialties involved.

I don't fully understand this, especially when applying for such a difficult program like NS. For instance, lets assume that I would be happy in either a NS or GS training, however, I prefer NS a little bit more. Why is it looked down upon to be prepared to end up in one or the other. I thought that was part of the idea of Ranking programs.

On the other hand, I can see how a program might not like that you are not dead set on them or their specialty, but isn't that why they rank too?
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, in fact, I'm just pleading a little ignorance.

I have a friend that applied to 3 different specialties - Ortho, Rads, and another i can't remember, b/c he liked them all. He ended up getting his top choice, Ortho, but he was also top 3 in his class, with ridiculous board scores...etc. I guess his program didn't mind too much.

Personally, I'd love to one day match in NS (wasn't my original plan), and I'm working my tail off to do it. I guess I just feel like it's risky to throw all your eggs in one basket, when at the same time, I think I'd be happy in GS.

I really appreciate your response mpp.

I only applied NS, and it was very stressful not having a back up plan and not knowing if I was going to match. At the same time everyone knew that was what I really wanted. If you do apply to multiple specialties just try not to mention it:laugh: Good luck.