Second Residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pf30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a Peds resident, planning on finishing my 3 years in this residency, debating doing a second residency in EM.
My questions are:

1. Anyone out there who has done this recently?

2. Anyone know how funding for this will work? I understand I will have used up 3 years of funding to pay for my 3 years in peds. Would I get 2 more years of funding to be an EM resident?

3. Does anyone know how much credit you get from a Peds residency that can be taken of off a 3 year or a 4 year EM residency?

4. Anyone aware of programs that would be open to accepting an already peds resid grad?

If you don't have answers but can refer me to sites or people who would have answers, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that one of the current first or second year EM residents at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh already completed a med-peds residency. You could try contacting the PD there for more information.

Hi, I am a Peds resident, planning on finishing my 3 years in this residency, debating doing a second residency in EM.
My questions are:

2. Anyone know how funding for this will work? I understand I will have used up 3 years of funding to pay for my 3 years in peds. Would I get 2 more years of funding to be an EM resident?

3. Does anyone know how much credit you get from a Peds residency that can be taken of off a 3 year or a 4 year EM residency?

4. Anyone aware of programs that would be open to accepting an already peds resid grad?

If you don't have answers but can refer me to sites or people who would have answers, I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks.

My questions are:

You won't get any more funding

Credit is generally given on a case-by-case basis, your EM PD will have to contact ABEM to see what (if any) credit will be given. Generally speaking any rotations done when there is no ACGME-EM PD oversight will not be counted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't done it myself, but have worked with someone who did. Finished peds, worked a few years as a peds EM provider, then decided to do an EM residency (as opposed to a Peds EM fellowship). Smart guy and very good.

Thank you for your responses.

Blanche: is there any chance you know the name of the EM program where they did their residency? Do you know how that resident was funded?

Katester25: thank you for your respone, I will look into the Allegheny General program.

I just heard of an ER resident at MetroHealth in Cleveland who also previously completed a med-peds residency, so that's another program that's at least open to the possibility.