Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaredBlake

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a senior in high school and dermatology really interests me. One thing I haven't found yet is the salary. Would somebody please give me an estimate, or if you already are a derm, would you give me a range?

Members don't see this ad.

Optho_Mudphud, just wondering if you believe the numbers in the survery (not just for derm but for all specialties) you provided in the link for are accurate. I know that these types of surveys are sometimes inaccurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AlexanderJ
Optho_Mudphud, just wondering if you believe the numbers in the survery (not just for derm but for all specialties) you provided in the link for are accurate. I know that these types of surveys are sometimes inaccurate.

I believe the surveyed salaries accurately reflect the range physicians earn in the different specialties currently. These salaries are similar to what I've seen in different specialities and obtain from different surveys.

For comparison, look at the salaries earned by academic physicians (which is typically 25%-50% less than their private practice colleagues). This information was gathered by the AAMC.

http://hsc.usf.edu/facultyaffairs/Handbook/com_comp_aamc_facsal.htm

Those salaries seem a little high. I'd go to the ama website for numbers more in line with other surveys I've seen. For gen. opth, pathology, and rheum. I'm pretty sure they are too high.

Podiatry(not an md/do field) is just off the charts ridiculous. The 50% for podiatrists with ten years experience is about 105-110k. At three years the numebr is far less. This survey lists 168k after 3 years.