3 day work week with 500k salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
500k for three days per week will be difficult. However, you may realize you would rather work 3 days a week and make "less" money than work 4-5 days a week to hit 500k.
Yeah... Even making 300k/yr working 3 days/wk (24-27 hrs) is quite remarkable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
100k/day work/year has been a fairly standard metric for the last 5-10 years, provided you’re seeing general dermatology 30-35 pt/day. I suspect this may be decreasing with the influx of private equity and ceaseless Medicare pay cuts.

There are very few practices that will accommodate a permanent 3-day work week, maybe for late career physician but not right out of residency.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah... Even making 300k/yr working 3 days/wk (24-27 hrs) is quite remarkable.
I don't think it is; it's actually quite easy to may 100k/day/year. There are even academic programs out there that pay 300k per 3 day work week or 400k for a 4 day work week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it is; it's actually quite easy to may 100k/day/year. There are even academic programs out there that pay 300k per 3 day work week or 400k for a 4 day work week.
No wonder derm is so competitive. Even academia pays 300k/yr for 3 days of work.

No wonder derm is so competitive. Even academia pays 300k/yr for 3 days of work.
Where in the world are academic derms making those salaries? The ones I have seen are all 250-300k for 4.5 days clinic + 0.5 days admin time in academics. Some get up to 350 later on, but many of these faculty have 300k salaries with 5+ years on faculty and numerous with fellowship training. These are public salaries too. I've seen chairs, mohs, head dermpaths, making 400k-500k and some absurd chair salaries, but associate professors in academic dermatology are horrendously underpaid from almost everywhere I've seen.

Reactions: 2 users
Where in the world are academic derms making those salaries? The ones I have seen are all 250-300k for 4.5 days clinic + 0.5 days admin time in academics. Some get up to 350 later on, but many of these faculty have 300k salaries with 5+ years on faculty and numerous with fellowship training. These are public salaries too. I've seen chairs, mohs, head dermpaths, making 400k-500k and some absurd chair salaries, but associate professors in academic dermatology are horrendously underpaid from almost everywhere I've seen.
That’s been the same in my experience as well. Academic Derm is not paid very well in relative terms....and honestly to think about the amount of work my chair does to probably make 400-500k is absurd (they are underpaid for sure)

Well-run academic programs in the Midwest. There’s more than one!

Well-run academic programs in the Midwest. There are multiple ones!

Well-run academic programs in the Midwest. There’s more than one!
If that truly is the case for those programs, it would certainly be something I'd love to know more about in the near future. Seems like the best of both worlds being able to stay in academia without a drastic pay cut.

But it also should be noted that these programs are the exception rather than the rule and that most dermatology programs especially those in larger cities and more desirable geographic regions pay the bulk of their faculty well below market for the same or often times more work than their non-academic counterparts especially when you factor in unpaid research, mentoring, committees, and other uncompensated time sucks that come along with academia.

Not really my experience from many colleagues in academia. Sure 3 clinic days (plus 1 research/academic day with expectation to produce something) — plenty of jobs like that with that salary. I’m sure it’s possible with zero additional duties, but likely not the norm — especially since most academic programs seem to run heavy with managerial bloat and inefficiency.

On the private practice side I’m fine to pay new part-time hires the typical 40% collections and new dermatologists can easily hit that 300k on 3 days of clinic once they are fully scheduled. HOWEVER they don’t get a full benefits package and also need to check their inboxes/messages same as those that work M-F (unless they arrange coverage or work our a system with the MAs to contact them with urgencies etc). Patients aren’t super-happy if you work M-W and answer their Wednesday afternoon messages 5 days later, so it’s not like you can checkout completely on days off.

Last edited:
Not really my experience from many colleagues in academia. Sure 3 clinic days (plus 1 research/academic day with expectation to produce something) — plenty of jobs like that with that salary. I’m sure it’s possible with zero additional duties, but likely not the norm — especially since most academic programs seem to run heavy with managerial bloat and inefficiency.

On the private practice side I’m fine to pay new part-time hires the typical 40% collections and new dermatologists can easily hit that 300k on 3 days of clinic once they are fully scheduled. HOWEVER they don’t get a full benefits package and also need to check their inboxes/messages same as those that work M-F (unless they arrange coverage or work our a system with the MAs to contact them with urgencies etc). Patients aren’t super-happy if you work M-W and answer their Wednesday afternoon messages 5 days later, so it’s not like you can checkout completely on days off.
I always wondered what happens if you take a M-W job with the EMR inbox. Oh, the dreaded inbox. It's relentless at our program. Sounds like you are always responsible for it even if you work three days.

Reactions: 1 users
I always wondered what happens if you take a M-W job with the EMR inbox. Oh, the dreaded inbox. It's relentless at our program. Sounds like you are always responsible for it even if you work three days.

There are some ways around it- for example two part-timers M-W and W-F agree to cover each other’s messages regularly.

What doesn’t fly is asking the full-timers to cover their own messages plus yours (even “just the urgent ones”) when you are off. I make sure to impress that on all new hires (be available or arrange coverage, I don’t want to hear from your MA about your patients except in extenuating circumstances).

I know this stuff is geographic and variable but I’ve also never seen 3x MC. Our group is pretty big and we re-negotiate pretty actively. Our 99214 is $171 with our best/largest insurer which I thought was pretty good (actually I know it’s good). If we asked for even $225 they would laugh and drop us instantly.
Can you say what area this is in? Ex. Atlanta, Orlando suburbs?

I work 3.5 days per week (~100 patients/week) and make 500k+ at an academic center. The plus of working for a larger institution (versus private practice) is that we have better contracts with payers (meaning paid more $$$/visit). Plus, I get lot of retirement options you don't get in private practice. I do know some private practice providers in my city making 800-900k in gen derm - but they're booking it see 45-60 patients/day.

• Wow
I work 3.5 days per week (~100 patients/week) and make 500k+ at an academic center. The plus of working for a larger institution (versus private practice) is that we have better contracts with payers (meaning paid more $$$/visit). Plus, I get lot of retirement options you don't get in private practice. I do know some private practice providers in my city making 800-900k in gen derm - but they're booking it see 45-60 patients/day.
Wow, that sounds like a dream job, I would spend the rest of my career there if I had that opportunity

That would mean you’re bringing home around $100/encounter or more, which is pretty astounding. Is this for just straight clinical work? Sounds like a great gig, but certainly far outside the norm.

This is insane.

A 3 work-day week for 500k+ w/ benefits...only in medicine.

That would mean you’re bringing home around $100/encounter or more, which is pretty astounding. Is this for just straight clinical work? Sounds like a great gig, but certainly far outside the norm.
I was going to ask the same question. That’s a pretty astonishing number for just clinical work. Let’s say at $65/wRVU that’s generating 1.6 rvus per encounter. This wont be a collections based gig, but if it were, that would be $231 per encounter at 45% collections. Definitely a great gig and I would also guess far above the norm.

I was going to ask the same question. That’s a pretty astonishing number for just clinical work. Let’s say at $65/wRVU that’s generating 1.6 rvus per encounter. This wont be a collections based gig, but if it were, that would be $231 per encounter at 45% collections. Definitely a great gig and I would also guess far above the norm.
I generate about 1.8-1.9 wRVUs per encounter on average - lots of complicated patients and/or procedures (either mostly level 4 follow ups or level 3 with a procedure).

For those making 800-900k, are they working 5 full days seeing 45-60 patients?

Please call physicians physicians. Or doctors. Not providers.

Reactions: 9 users