sacral insufficiency fracture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherhopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there much to do to decrease incidence of sacral insufficiency fractures from pelvic RT? And are there any good therapies when it does happen? I have an elderly lady with all the risk factors (skinny, caucasian, had chemo, etc) to whom I gave 45Gy whole pelvis who has developed quite painful sacral insufficiency fractures. This isn't something I've really seen after whole pelvis and honestly it's quite alarming to me. Quick lit search only shows conservative management, but wondering if there's anything else I can do to help it heal faster.

Members don't see this ad.

One question is if bone protecting agents will perhaps limit the risk of further fractures happening.

It's sad that we did (the radiation oncology community) did not embark on a trial for this. Denosumab 6-monthly (as given for osteoporosis protection in men with prostate cancer on ADT) vs. nothing for 2 years post RT to the pelvis in "patients at risk".
"Patients at risk" need to be defined of course.

Now, back to what you can do now to TREAT the actual fracture. I am not aware of any data on it, but would hyperbaric oxygen therapy work? There is data for osteoradionecrosis, not aware of data for pelvic fractures though...

Members don't see this ad :)
There are sacroplasty and surgical options, decently cited review article here: Imaging and Treatment of Sacral Insufficiency Fractures

Agree with surgical opinion. These can be quite debilitating and these patients can have good prognosis and have to live with the late consequences of RT. Depends on your little old lady for sure but would still refer her.

As an aside, there are lot of patients I see that have been sent for protons for sacral chordomas/condrosarcs/etc, some of them quite fit and young. It’s possible sacral fractures are underrreported in that cohort too (60 Gy+) as long term f/u becomes more difficult (due to geography/doc time constraints/etc).

Is there much to do to decrease incidence of sacral insufficiency fractures from pelvic RT? And are there any good therapies when it does happen? I have an elderly lady with all the risk factors (skinny, caucasian, had chemo, etc) to whom I gave 45Gy whole pelvis who has developed quite painful sacral insufficiency fractures. This isn't something I've really seen after whole pelvis and honestly it's quite alarming to me. Quick lit search only shows conservative management, but wondering if there's anything else I can do to help it heal faster.
“Rad rule:” If a patient has a problem after XRT, it’s XRT’s fault.

From population viewpoint, fractures more associated with osteoporosis vs 45 Gy pelvic XRT. If you work up this patient for osteoporosis and it’s severe, I would say 45 Gy not the sole or major contributing cause of the fractures here. (The most bone protecting substance possible/known in elderly women is estrogen.)

Reactions: 2 users
Somewhat related question:

How do you all handle SBRT for sacral mets?

We have guidelines for treating spine with SBRT in the C, T, and L-spine, but not in the S-spine.

Is it more reasonable to just treat the disease on PET + uniform margin, or do you treat the entire lateralized sacral ala, or even the entire sacral level carving out the nerve roots?

And how do you all constrain the thecal sac and nerve roots below?

I'm not sure I can justify giving 27-30 Gy in 3 fractions to the entire sacral ala when there is only a little pinpoint of disease on PET, but I know that's what we do elsewhere in the spine. Seems WAY excessive.

I did a literature search but couldn't find anything. Anyone know of any reports or guidelines for S-spine SBRT?

Reactions: 1 users
You’re in luck - published this week

Very helpful - thanks!

Wish they had commented more on dosing and dose constraints to thecal sac and nerve roots, other than keep hot spot below prescription dose.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody really knows dosing and dose constraints for thecal sac and nerve roots. Data is scant and mixed. You can use TG-101 (1-5 fx), but the data behind those numbers are not very strong.

Very helpful - thanks!

Wish they had commented more on dosing and dose constraints to thecal sac and nerve roots, other than keep hot spot below prescription dose.

To be conservative I generally say point dose < 30Gy for 5 fraction and point dose < 21Gy for 3 fraction for cauda equina, thecal sac, and sacral plexus. Peripheral nerves so mostly get treated with a similar mindset for me.

To OP - surgical opinion now that it's happened, even if it's for a brace. Consider ordering a Dexa scan and if positive sending to endo for osteoporosis management (assuming not seeing a med-onc).

You’re in luck - published this week

Recently had a discussion with a colleague regarding sacral plexus dose constraints. It was a 32Gy Dmax vs 35Gy Dmax discussion for 5 fraction SBRT (600 X 5) in pt with encasement of sacral plexus/neural foramina by tumor.

Found this paper useful. Gotta read the supplement for the goodies.

From the supplement:

"The median nBED dose to the TS (thecal sac) was 72 Gy2/2 (range, 72 – 111.3 Gy2/2) for cases treated with 16 – 24 Gy in a single fraction,
44.6 Gy2/2 (range, 44.6 – 71.5 Gy2/2), 69.3 Gy2/2 (range, 36 – 76.8 Gy2/2) and 71.3 Gy2/2 (range, 52.7 – 71.3 Gy2/2) and 67.2 Gy2/2 for 24Gy in 2 fractions,
24 – 30 Gy in 3 fractions,
30 – 40 Gy in 4 fractions and
35 Gy in 5 fractions respectively."

"There was no different in the dose constrains stated whether the TS was contoured as an individual structure or combined with the SP and/or NR. Seven of the nine experts specifically contoured the nerve roots, however, each of these experts wouldn’t underdoes the PTV to spare the nerve roots if disease involved the neural foramen."

“For spine SBRT, that intent is local control.”

“Sacral metastases are rare accounting for fewer than 5% of all cases of metastatic disease to the spine”

“no pattern of failure analyses specific to the sacrum have been published.”

“Notably, there was the tendency amongst the majority of the experts to apply an anatomic approach when contouring the CTV which typically involved contouring the entirety of the compartment the disease was located, in addition to contouring the next adjacent marrow space at risk of microscopic disease spread.”

“Outcomes for sacrum SBRT are limited.”

“The most common pattern of sacral failure was progression within the vertebral body in conjunction with paraspinal tissue followed by isolated epidural progression.”

“Without consistent recommendations for delineating the sacrum, it is almost impossible to draw firm conclusions regarding dose distribution with respect to toxicity or outcome across centres

FROM THE SUPPLEMENT:

***** “Six experts contoured the TS, two the sacral canal and one the nerves in cauda equina as a surrogate for the TS. It was the practice of five experts to contour the TS (or surrogate) as an independent structure to the SP and NR structures. Two experts didn’t contour the sacral plexus stating the lack of guidelines to accurately delineate this structure and the low rate of plexopathy observed in individual institutional databases.“

***** “The median nBED dose to the TS was… 35 Gy in 5 fractions respectively.

***** “Seven of the nine experts specifically contoured the nerve roots, however, each of these experts wouldn’t underdoes the PTV to spare the nerve roots if disease involved the neural foramen. “

One question is if bone protecting agents will perhaps limit the risk of further fractures happening.

It's sad that we did (the radiation oncology community) did not embark on a trial for this. Denosumab 6-monthly (as given for osteoporosis protection in men with prostate cancer on ADT) vs. nothing for 2 years post RT to the pelvis in "patients at risk".
"Patients at risk" need to be defined of course.

Now, back to what you can do now to TREAT the actual fracture. I am not aware of any data on it, but would hyperbaric oxygen therapy work? There is data for osteoradionecrosis, not aware of data for pelvic fractures though...
This doesn’t help once the fracture has already occurred but as part of survivorship care i recommend all my whole pelvis patients (not just women) to get a bone density scan post RT and get osteopenia/osteoporosis therapy as needed. It always surprises me how many of them have never had any discussion of DEXA screening with their pcp, even people with obvious risk factors beyond just sex and age (body habitus, smoking, etc).