pre-sacral lymph nodes for bladder cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you cover these for T3 disease? What about T4 disease?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh ... RTOG protocols don't specifically mention it (block edge 2.5cm posterior to bladder), and I haven't been doing it (had a few cases recently). But, if it was T4 because of involvement of the rectum, I'm sure you could make the argument to do it. But, for post-op, recent article in Red Journal (http://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016(12)00458-0/abstract) says for T3 or T4 for positive margin, you should consider it in the adjuvant setting. If in the adjuvant setting, I wonder why not in the definitive setting.

I was surprised at the few cases I had - very limited toxicity with carbo/taxol. Another one coming up soon.

with weekly carbo/taxol, I'd worry about efficacy :) MedOncs use to for freaking everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was surprised at the few cases I had - very limited toxicity with carbo/taxol. Another one coming up soon.

Because that's an easy regimen to give. There isn't a ton of data for concurrent regimens to use in bladder from what I've seen but I'd wager that 5-FU or cis has more data than carbo/taxol (and probably more toxicity too)

with weekly carbo/taxol, I'd worry about efficacy :) MedOncs use to for freaking everything.

yep. It's amazing how much carbo has supplanted cis in multiple sites, despite the evidence for doing so.

Good point! It is easier to tolerate than 5FU/Mitomycin or Cis.

Thing is, here, we don't necessarily get the medically operable people wanting bladder preservation a la Harvard with the cystoscopy/cytology/bx at 4 weeks with cystectomy salvage if positive. It's mostly people in not-so-hot medical condition who can't get surgery, and less often, people that outright refuse cystectomy. So, that's why I think our medoncs don't give cis. I don't know. Carbo/Taxol although considered chemo light, seems to be fine. It's a SOC for lung and esophagus, and used as an alternative for head and neck and cervical in cisplatin-shortage areas. No one seems to be wanting to do the comparative effectiveness trials for it.

Good point! It is easier to tolerate than 5FU/Mitomycin or Cis.

Thing is, here, we don't necessarily get the medically operable people wanting bladder preservation a la Harvard with the cystoscopy/cytology/bx at 4 weeks with cystectomy salvage if positive. It's mostly people in not-so-hot medical condition who can't get surgery, and less often, people that outright refuse cystectomy. So, that's why I think our medoncs don't give cis. I don't know. Carbo/Taxol although considered chemo light, seems to be fine. It's a SOC for lung and esophagus, and used as an alternative for head and neck and cervical in cisplatin-shortage areas. No one seems to be wanting to do the comparative effectiveness trials for it.

Carbo/Taxol should be abolished as SOC for RCT in NSCLC in my opinion. It's been shown, that this combination is an independent risk factor for pneumonitis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22682812

carbo/taxol is not SOC for neither lung nor esophagus

carbo/taxol is not SOC for neither lung nor esophagus

Wouldn't go that far. It's "a" SOC. Probably not the most efficacious one though. Carbo/taxol was good enough for RTOG 0617 as well as the recently published CROSS study on esophageal/GE junction cancer. NCCN also recognizes it as a SOC for both disease sites (Cat 1 for esophagus).

Wouldn't go that far. It's "a" SOC. Probably not the most efficacious one though. Carbo/taxol was good enough for RTOG 0617 as well as the recently published CROSS study on esophageal/GE junction cancer. NCCN also recognizes it as a SOC for both disease sites (Cat 1 for esophagus).

Per NCCN, CDDP/Etoposide or CDDP/Vinblastine are preferred. Carbo/Taxol is only a category 2B recommendation.

For esophagus, NCCN has a bunch of chemo regimens listed but only CDDP/5FU is category 1. Once again, Carbo/Taxol is 2B.

Per NCCN, CDDP/Etoposide or CDDP/Vinblastine are preferred. Carbo/Taxol is only a category 2B recommendation.

For esophagus, NCCN has a bunch of chemo regimens listed but only CDDP/5FU is category 1. Once again, Carbo/Taxol is 2B.

Depends on if we are talking about neoadjuvant (pre-op) vs Definitive.

If you check the "Principles of systemic therapy" section of GE/esophagus, you'll see that carbo/taxol is a cat 1 recommendation under preoperative regimens but 2B in the definitive setting. My guess is they are using the recently reported CROSS group study to support the pre-op rec (even though carbo/taxol wasn't the study question there. Going to 41.4 with carbo/taxol yielded a pCR rate of 29% in that study. Contrast this to lung where the RTOG/Intergroup study used cis/etoposide pre-op to get their results.

Bottom line, I personally think cis is the way to go in fit patients whether it's lung or esophagus but carbo/taxol is a generally accepted SOC in the US. But this is an exercise in SDN forum posting as we all know none of us typically make these decisions :D

ng where the RTOG/Intergroup study used cis/etoposide pre-op to get their results.

Bottom line, I personally think cis is the way to go in fit patients whether it's lung or esophagus but carbo/taxol is a generally accepted SOC in the US. But this is an exercise in SDN forum posting as we all know none of us typically make these decisions :D

I think for head and neck right now cisplatin is still the way to go, if the patient can tolerate it. Nancy Lee is publishing a paper soon with cetuximab, which will be interesting since she traditionally dislikes that agent haha.

Category 2B is a standard of care, i.e. an acceptable variation.
I love these blanket statements. I was careful not to say "the" standard of care.