Rutgers (OOS) vs. UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihcneyugn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I was blessed with 2 acceptances this cycle and I would love your honest opinion. Location is only somewhat important to me & I don't plan to specialize for now (I might change my mind later so I will factor that in but it does not weigh a whole lot). I also would prefer to not have to do GPR/AEGD. Tuition and the strength of the clinical program (& maybe step prep?) are the most important to me. I am VA resident.

Rutgers:
Pros:
Established school, amazing clinical program which is great for GP, large patient population, even if I want to switch to specializing they have a really high match rate so that won't be a problem.
I also did a master there & aced the dental courses so I will have a much easier time in D1 (I basically took 3 dental classes there already).
Potential to get in-state tuition after 1st year (~$287,351) which makes it cheaper then UNE; ... BUT realistically what is my chance of actually getting the in-state status? I would absolutely love any input on this matter, either from you personally or friends/ ppl you know. This will be the biggest factor in me choosing Rutgers over UNE.
Cons:
Expensive OOS tuition + fee ( ~$390,230) if I can't get in-state status.
The area can be a bit rough but I can find housing in the suburb (which I prefer over city), south orange seems nice although Idk how realistic it is to rent there. I can split cost with a few people & rent can be as low as $750 in society hill right by the school (which is not in the best area) or up to $1000 if I want to split a nice house in the suburb/hoboken/ jersey city.

UNE:
Pros
:
Cheaper than Rutgers OOS, but the tuition is fixed since it's private (no chance for in-state tuition). UNE tuition (+fee) is ~ $318,600.
Housing price might be cheaper, not by much, but it might make managing bills a bit easier.
Cons:
Not as big patient population, less strong clinical program so I might not be as prepared for GP. I heard from the students there that trying to specialize might be challenging.
Might actually be more expensive than Rutgers IS tuition.

Summary: It really boils down to "HOW LIKELY is it for me to get in-state tuition at Rutgers?". I know for UMD getting Maryland residency is tricky, I am wondering if Rutgers is the same. And if I can't get in-state, is it worth it to go to Rutgers for the better clinical experience alone? I have not heard anyone discuss the process of getting accepted for IS at Rutgers so literally any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

i have heard une has one of the strongest clinical programs where did you see that they don’t?

Reactions: 1 user
i have heard une has one of the strongest clinical programs where did you see that they don’t?
I just have not heard much talk about how strong they are. Meanwhile everywhere I go I just hear how much reputable the clinical program at Rutgers is. I can be extremely biased in this though, obviously. I did not have the numbers on the treatments done students by graduation for UNE but for Rutgers they have 19 crowns, many extraction, etc. that they talk about during the tour. UNE did not mention anything like that. Please let me know if you know anything about UNE clinicial. Thanks

I went to Rutgers. Let me make some comments.

1) Everyone who wanted in-state tuition after the first year got it, with the exception of like 1 or 2 people who had to wait two years. You have to get a NJ drivers license and prove you pay NJ rent (and stuff like that), but then you're good to go. If you want it, you'll get it. At least when I went there. I know the student government helped foster people through the steps.

2) I guess the clinical program was good. Listen, no dental school is gonna make you a great dentist. If anything, I wish the requirements were lower when I went there, because it just makes graduating more difficult.

3) Best combination of price, fun, and safety was probably Harrison. Hoboken is cool, but getting pretty pricey. Honestly, just go live in 180 or Society Hill. It's safe there. I walked through there at night a WHOLE lot during school. Never had a problem. The dangerous parts are west and south. I lived north a bit by NJIT and it was great. If you're not sure where to live, just live in 180 for the first year and see how it goes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Rutgers. Let me make some comments.

1) Everyone who wanted in-state tuition after the first year got it, with the exception of like 1 or 2 people who had to wait two years. You have to get a NJ drivers license and prove you pay NJ rent (and stuff like that), but then you're good to go. If you want it, you'll get it. At least when I went there. I know the student government helped foster people through the steps.

2) I guess the clinical program was good. Listen, no dental school is gonna make you a great dentist. If anything, I wish the requirements were lower when I went there, because it just makes graduating more difficult.

3) Best combination of price, fun, and safety was probably Harrison. Hoboken is cool, but getting pretty pricey. Honestly, just go live in 180 or Society Hill. It's safe there. I walked through there at night a WHOLE lot during school. Never had a problem. The dangerous parts are west and south. I lived north a bit by NJIT and it was great. If you're not sure where to live, just live in 180 for the first year and see how it goes.
This is amazing info ! Thank you so much!!!

I got to UNE and have to disagree and say the clinical is actually very strong! Also patient population is actually very good because we are in a rural setting and so you will see a great need/demand with lots of cases. Feels good to go to a school knowing you’re not only learning and growing in dentistry but also actually making an impact in such a rural community while doing it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user