Rutgers NJMS vs. Rutgers RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunnerDad

Reaction score
Apologies for my ignorance and the unconventional format of this request, but I'm asking for a friend: What are the key differences between these two Rutgers schools? The friend is a more service-oriented applicant with high stats (3.92/521, ORM, southwestern state resident) looking for mid-tier schools that have good match history with both northeast, west coast, and mountain state programs in specialties like ortho, neurosurgery, and PM&R. Any thoughts from those that plan to or already attend either?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not go to these schools but have many friends that go to both/have graduated. Both are state schools with heavy in state bias towards NJ residents, so it may be more difficult for your friend unless they have ties to NJ, and both are service oriented. Njms is in a more urban environment with ties to University Hospital (Level 1 trauma center), and Robert Wood is in a less urban area (still medium -large city) with ties to RWJBH network (specifically, level one trauma hospital in the city). I think RWJBH tends to have a slightly more prestigious match list, but both will be great options. It comes down to curriculum (similar) and overall feel of the school.

For what it's worth, many of those I know are very happy at RWJ. Friend of mine matched ColumbiaU Anesthesia recently :)

Reactions: 1 user