Rorschach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have my opinions, but I was wondering how psychologists in training are being taught to view the Rorschach?

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully I don't get flamed for posting in this forum.

That said, I remember wanting to be against the concept of projective testing when I entered graduate school. I had a statistical, scientific bend, and wanted to keep it that way. But some semesters later, I had an insightful professor who drilled the Exner system into our mindset and training. I was dutifully impressed and became more and more interested in the scoring system, and its impressive validity.

I found the test, both then and now in my psychiatry residency training, to be very useful and an indispensible tool in helping come to diagnoses in difficult patients. While I don't have the time to test patients and score the testing myself now, we do have a psychologist on staff that we ask to perform testing on certain patients. He doesn't use the Exner scoring system, but I wish he did. Nevertheless, we get useful info from it. Just this past week, I requested that another patient be tested projectively with this test. I anticipate more useful clinical insight from the testing results.