Root Canal Re-treatment or Implant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTseeker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My lateral incisor (#10) was treated 8 years ago. Right around Christmas time, i started noticing subtle throbs and pain but not enough to get me worried as it only occurred at night. Last month, my tooth got worse and I would wake up with excruciating pain.
Today I saw an endodontist, this is what he told me while looking at my x-ray. The root of my tooth has a shorter tip and there is some bone loss of the tooth. He couldn't see any fractures from the x-ray or just by looking but hard to confirm unless he did the re-treatment.
He was hinting that I should keep my tooth since I am still quite young (im 28 y.o), but because I dont have dental insurance, I'm debating if i should follow through with a re-treatment and risk possible tooth infection in the following months and have surgery (with risk of infections later on as well) or if I should go the extraction route.
What are your thoughts? with the bone loss, if i chose the re-treatment route and everything goes well, how long do i have with a tooth that already started to have bone loss and a shorter tip?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried other dental forums and no one has responded. I don’t have insurance and I can’t afford to go see another endodontist. I paid over $200 out of pocket to get an eval done.
I only want to know what you guys think, if it’s worth it to try and save this tooth or have it extracted.

I tried other dental forums and no one has responded. I don’t have insurance and I can’t afford to go see another endodontist. I paid over $200 out of pocket to get an eval done.
I only want to know what you guys think, if it’s worth it to try and save this tooth or have it extracted.
SDN is not for medical (or dental) advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.