root canal +post on lower incisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A crown is indicated on an asymptomatic lower incisor chipped to the point that a simple filling is not the best option to restore it.
Before placing a crown on such tooth (lower incisor), what degree of tooth damage that tooth should have to need of a root canal+post before the crown. Or does it takeroot canal+post systematically before a crown on a lower incisor?
And in case it needs a root canal+post, is prefabricated post is indicated? or a cast post should always be considered as the only option?

Your opinion please.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you post pictures and xrays?

You will hear different opinions but my opinion is:

If the tooth is asymptomatic Why not place filling or core buildup and crown?

Did you place composite and it fractured or de-bonded?

With post and core, you are risking root fracture/ root perf

Can you post pictures and xrays?

You will hear different opinions but my opinion is:

If the tooth is asymptomatic Why not place filling or core buildup and crown?

Did you place composite and it fractured or de-bonded?

With post and core, you are risking root fracture/ root perf

I would like to second this motion!

With a lower incisor there is simply not enough tooth structure left for a good result after you have completed endo AND a crown prep.

Last edited:
Without a radiograph and images it's a tough call to make. I'd say say a crown is probably going to be sufficient here if composite isn't holding but, but you'd be surprised how often composites can hold up to stress given the right technique in placement.

I'd avoid the RCT on an asymptomatic tooth that also has no clinical signs pointing to need for RCT. If I was doing an RCT for whatever reason, I'd probably keep the access very tight and avoid a post. Try prepping the tooth first and then accessing so you can see if a post is really needed based on the tooth structure left.