Resigning from the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowboy4life

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any active duty officers out there getting ready to resign from the military to begin the long journey of taking the prerequistes for dental school?

Cowboy4life

Members don't see this ad.

no specific questions - just wondering if there was anyone else out there getting ready to take this leap of faith and go for their dreams. I have 10 years in the Army, but I have to go for it right now - even if it is a bit intimidating.

I spent 9 years in the military before I left to pursue other options. I have really missed the people and the fun I had but I've never regretted it.

Members don't see this ad :)
PJDent,

Do you have the HPSP scholarship and plan on coming back in the military after school or are you paying for school with loans and don't plan on re-joining the military?

I took the HPSP because I'm attending an out of state school. Had I attended an in state school I would not have taken it. I'll most likely attend the AEGD and do 5 more bringing my total time up to 14 years. As to whether I'll stick around to retire depends upon what's being offered at the time.

PJDent,

Were you able to complete the pre-requisites while you were on active duty?

No, I was tdy way too much. I could only take classes every now and then so I knocked out all of my electives. Then I got out and knocked out 4 sciences and 4 labs each semester for two years.

I also had to get out to take the pre-reqs. It took me 2 years to get classes, DATs and applications together. No way could I have done it while I was in with the frequency of deployments/training. I saved up and got out and took the 4 year HPSP with a different branch. I liked the military but I was bored with my job. I have never regretted my decision to leave and go to dental school.

In response to the original question, I too left Army after 7yrs (3enl, 4off) to finish my prerequisites for dental school. Between divisional/corps deployments and my last job as an Aide, there was no way to finish the requirements for dental school.

I saved and took on educational debt to go back to undergrad for 2 full years. I also worked for a year right after I got out and then worked for a year while I applied and waited for dental school to start.

I'm in my 3rd year now and looking back, it was all worth it. The HPSP has taken care of most bills so in the big scheme of things, the education debt is just a drop in the bucket. I just hope that I say it was all worth it 10 years from now!