OMS joining military post-residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteotomy01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how operationally thing would work joining military post residency. I know of several guys who joined military during OMS residency and they received stipends with future contracts to work with the military after for a number of years towards repayment of their dental school loans.

However, let's say you've completed residency and been out several years. You've tried various gigs in the private sector and stumbled upon the Army looking for an OMS in the AAOMS job listings. Additionally, let's say you've already paid off your loans. How would life be as an OMS only now joining much later? Are there any incentives, advantages, or other benefits towards joining the military so late in the game or would it be a fool's choice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering how operationally thing would work joining military post residency. I know of several guys who joined military during OMS residency and they received stipends with future contracts to work with the military after for a number of years towards repayment of their dental school loans.

However, let's say you've completed residency and been out several years. You've tried various gigs in the private sector and stumbled upon the Army looking for an OMS in the AAOMS job listings. Additionally, let's say you've already paid off your loans. How would life be as an OMS only now joining much later? Are there any incentives, advantages, or other benefits towards joining the military so late in the game or would it be a fool's choice?
For me, only time it would make sense to join as a seasoned OMFS would be if you or your family member has a medical condition. Military has cheap medical insurance for your family and gives you paid vacation time. (Free for you, but you'll need a waiver to join depending on the condition).

Or if you want to live abroad for a few years and work as OMFS, then it would be an option. However, your recruiter cannot guarantee you a position abroad. It'll come with a severe pay cut compared to private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would have to be ****ing insane, or just a really terrible surgeon. Private equity groups are already giving civilian OMS interns stipends to sign with them these days so the Army becomes even less competitive. Your first year salary including the multi-year accession bonus would be significantly less than a bad year in private practice, then you’re an indentured servant for year with no control over your life. Literally nobody opts to extend their contract beyond the initial obligation these days. The only people I know who did so either completed fellowship, came to OMS late, have really sick family members or are completely incompetent.

Reactions: 2 users
Do whatever you want mate, it’s your career. You’ll make less and likely have a different set of headaches as compared to private practice, but as long as you’re cool with “the military” knock yourself out.

Thats the trick though, you are an officer first and a surgeon second. Make sure you’re good with this.

Personally I’ve made my peace with the two (GP here, but plans to stay in for family reasons), and am happy with the choice. Everyone craps on the military, and there are plenty of reasons to steer clear, but there are also plenty of good things, it all depends on what you want/like in a career.

Reactions: 2 users
Appreciate the advice.

I suppose with what I see on social media of other surgeons associated with the military it got me thinking that it might've been a viable option given the appearance of being able to travel abroad, maybe do some OR work without having to worry about reimbursements, and all the other general nuances of PP (marketing, DSOs/PE taking over, and owners using associates). I guess it's a rabbit hole not worth exploring.

Appreciate the advice.

I suppose with what I see on social media of other surgeons associated with the military it got me thinking that it might've been a viable option given the appearance of being able to travel abroad, maybe do some OR work without having to worry about reimbursements, and all the other general nuances of PP (marketing, DSOs/PE taking over, and owners using associates). I guess it's a rabbit hole not worth exploring.
Can you avoid many of these issues by being a staff surgeon at a hospital or working in OMS education ?