Residency programs with outpatient emphasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drg123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS4 applying this year. I know that inpatient rehab is a core part of PM&R training and all programs must have this in their curriculum. However, I know my preference is for outpatient medicine both in the near and long-term. Are there programs that have a larger outpatient/inpatient ratio, that is, more heavy on outpatient?

Members don't see this ad.

There are quite a few. I had the opposite preference though, so I don't know as many programs that are outpatient focused. Here's what I know based on general reputation and my experience when I applied/interviewed (which was about 5 years ago, so some things could be different...)

If you like outpatient, Mayo is probably the top place to be. I have yet to meet anyone who says otherwise.

I have been told most NYC programs are super heavy on inpatient. If that's true, avoid them. I had zero interest in NY so I really didn't look into any.

UW is a powerhouse program, but definitely more inpatient heavy than Mayo (as are all th other top programs). In CA, pretty much all the programs have an outpatient focus. Stanford is the most well-balanced, but still has a very good outpatient training. UCLA and UC Davis are very outpatient oriented, and very good programs. I don't know as much about Irvine other than it's more outpatient focused as well. I know very little about Lona Linda but I assume it's the same.

UVA was very outpatient oriented when I applied. So was U Wisconsin, but I believe they built a new rehab unit or hospital. MCW is overall very well balanced (though more inpatient heavy as a PGY2, though I belive they are working to move some rotations around). I think Rush was more outpatient focused, but it's hard to remember. I think U Minnesota was more inpatient, but it's hard to remember. Loyola definitely was, but I don't think they have a program anymore. I didn't interview at RIC (SAL now?) but it is obviously more inpatient heavy, as is Schwab. I think UNC is fairly balanced too. VCU seemed a bit more heavy on inpatient, but the balance was still pretty good.

Considering the general preference for outpatient PM&R these days, I imagine others will be able to offer more helpful advice, but hopefully this was a start.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you RangerBob for that very helpful response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Audition and/or interview at Mayo...it’ll blow you away.

I have a friend who went to UPMC and felt he got a great outpatient experience.

Otherwise, on my trail a few years ago I had a tough time determining the quality of MSK exposure. Wisconsin Madison looked pretty strong...they were incorporating ultrasound. Baylor looked like it wanted to have a larger MSK presence, but it was an inpatient dominant program. TJ in Philly has a good EMG and anatomy curriculum from what I remember. Indiana had a new outpatient neuroscience center but I’m not sure about their capabilities.

Honestly...outside of Mayo, you will probably be sifting through shades of gray. I’d start by targeting the elite programs and determining which of them have the best outpatient experience. I consider UPMC an elite program.

Completely agree with the above post regarding UPMC, felt similar vibes when I interviewed there. I know Columbia/Cornell at NYC has a good msk curriculum--the program director, Dr. Visco, is a big figure-head in the field of diagnostic ultrasound. Colorado and Utah are other fairly msk heavy programs that I remember from the interview trail.

Ultimately though, I honestly would be a bit careful with picking programs that are too one-sided. It is tough to predict which areas will get saturated and where the scope of PM&R will shift for the future (seems that everyone entering the field is trying to do outpatient/msk). Thus, its best to go to a place that will offer exposure to everything, so that you can easily adapt if the nature of practice changes in the future--just my two cents/opinion obviously.

I agree that targeting programs that are too one-sided can be detrimental. There have been many people who entered residency convinced they wanted inpatient or outpatient and found the other suited them better. I would argue that you want exposure to the programs that offer you great inpatient and outpatient experience for not only training purposes but also to allow you to make the best possible career decision. That said, I agree with everything mentioned about the specific programs in this thread to this point through friends in those programs or interviewing at those programs.