Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drthedude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am interested in IM or Neurology at the moment. My only meaningful research was during my gap year before medical school where I received one publication, I have nothing so far in medical school. Is second year the appropriate time to start doing more research or will there be more opportunities during my clinical years? I know neuro is not a research-heavy field, but as a DO I want some solid structure to my residency application. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can start doing a little research in 2nd year. If it starts to interfere with you class grades though then stop and wait until 3rd year. You will have ample time in third year to publish.

I am also trying to find summer research back home during my OMS-1/2 years which has proven quite difficult! Any tips with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also trying to find summer research back home during my OMS-1/2 years which has proven quite difficult! Any tips with that?

What I did was emailed over 75 program directors during my winter break of first year and was luckily able to connect with one of them for an abundance of research projects throughout school. I would just start emailing left and right.

What I did was emailed over 75 program directors during my winter break of first year and was luckily able to connect with one of them for an abundance of research projects throughout school. I would just start emailing left and right.
how did you find so many? I've emailed 6

Went to a programs faculty directory and emailed every PD in any specialty where I thought would have decent research gig. Repeated this for multiple big academic programs.

Reactions: 1 user