Research as a DO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bulliedinschool2doc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in EM or Sports medicine. My only meaningful research was during my gap year as a medical scribe, where I did a poster presentation at a hospital's research day.
Other than this, I have no other research aside from data collection at an academic hospital in undergrad.

Is second year the appropriate time to start doing more research or will there be more opportunities during my clinical years?

I know EM is not a research-heavy field, but as a DO I want some solid structure to my residency application.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know EM is not a research-heavy field, but as a DO I want some solid structure to my residency application.
You can match EM without research.
I guess you know that there were 555 unfilled EM positions in SOAP this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
When's the best time to begin trying to get a research position? I know when when beginning M1 they recommend trying to get into the flow of medical school before pursuing a research opportunity, though if one is trying to research between M1-M2, when should they begin that process of finding a mentor or an existing project (i.e. Oct/Nov or more Feb/Mar)?
I think January February ought to be fine

When's the best time to begin trying to get a research position? I know when when beginning M1 they recommend trying to get into the flow of medical school before pursuing a research opportunity, though if one is trying to research between M1-M2, when should they begin that process of finding a mentor or an existing project (i.e. Oct/Nov or more Feb/Mar)?
Right away ideally especially if interested in something competitive

Reactions: 1 users
You do not need research for those specialties. Enjoy life

Reactions: 8 users
You do not need research for those specialties. Enjoy life
Moreso than this, ensure you do well in your academics. The only thing that will prevent you from matching those specialties is wasting time on nonsense "research" projects that go nowhere and lead to academic issues.

Reactions: 5 users
Sneaking onto this thread to ask if anyone has any thoughts on anesthesia research as a DO student. I'm doing a research/community health project with an anesthesia mentor right now (OMS1) at my own pace, but I was wondering if it would be a good use of my time to also apply for funded (might be the incorrect term) summer research programs (i.e the FAER summer medical student research fellowship).

Sneaking onto this thread to ask if anyone has any thoughts on anesthesia research as a DO student. I'm doing a research/community health project with an anesthesia mentor right now (OMS1) at my own pace, but I was wondering if it would be a good use of my time to also apply for funded (might be the incorrect term) summer research programs (i.e the FAER summer medical student research fellowship).
N =1 but I had a very good student apply for that and was rejected. I don't know if anyone else can add some details on the competitiveness of receiving this.

I don't believe research is necessary for EM or FM. It might help for fellowship. Research during residency for Sports Med might be more helpful.
If you want sports medicine, you’ll likely need some research, posters, and hopefully some publications. You can do that research in residency though. You don’t have to decide sports medicine now as a medical student. Focus on figuring out a primary specialty you are passionate enough about that if you didn’t match into sports medicine fellowship or change your mind about sports medicine, you’ll still be happy. FM, IM, Peds, EM, and PM&R can all do a sports medicine fellowship. Neurology can do a sports neurology fellowship. Orthopedics can do a sports medicine fellowship that is surgical based.

Why would you do research for EM or sports medicine? Don't waste your time. You'll match either, easily