Research at home institution or summer program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my situation.

I really love the lab I've been volunteering at for over a year now. I was even able to get a stipend and work there last summer. Also, I'll probably be able to submit a paper for publication after completing another part of my experiment.

But I have been interested in the idea of summer research programs. It might be a good way to learn some new things and just seems like it would be a fun experience overall (plus often times it pays better :p).

Would it be dumb to leave the good thing I have going on at my home institution to pursue a 'prestigious' summer program at NASA, Harvard, etc. for example? I by no means expect to get into any of these. But would it be worthwhile to try?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my situation.

I really love the lab I've been volunteering at for over a year now. I was even able to get a stipend and work there last summer. Also, I'll probably be able to submit a paper for publication after completing another part of my experiment.

But I have been interested in the idea of summer research programs. It might be a good way to learn some new things and just seems like it would be a fun experience overall (plus often times it pays better :p).

Would it be dumb to leave the good thing I have going on at my home institution to pursue a 'prestigious' summer program at NASA, Harvard, etc. for example? I by know means expect to get into any of these. But would it be worthwhile to try?

No reason not to try. Considering your longevity with the current lab, there's a good chance they'd welcome you back after a summer hiatus, if you want to return.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a summer research experience as a break from the lab I worked at since my freshman year. It was fun to try something completely different (clinical vs. basic science), and I was able to live in Germany to work a paid internship (check out DAAD-RISE if you're interested in an international research opportunity).

I couldn't say if the different research experience was a benefit to my application, but it was certainly a benefit to me personally!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did research every summer of undergrad (and occasionally during school breaks) rather than during the school year, so my situation is not exactly the same as yours, but I had to make a similar decision as you do now.

I did clinical research at one institution the summer after freshman year as a volunteer. I was welcomed back to the same lab, but decided to apply for summer research internships for the following summer. Money was an incentive, but I also wanted a new change of environment. I was accepted into a program at a different institution and chose to do that. I enjoyed the change--received a stipend, did research on a completely different topic from before, and learned about research from a different angle (translational vs. clinical; I had done basic science research in high school). It was fun getting to learn new things and work with different people.

I think a pro of working at a new place is that you get to see how research is performed at different institutions. College is definitely a good time to explore this! If you like learning new things and having new experiences, I would say it doesn't hurt to try and apply to those programs! As mentioned earlier, if you wanted to go back to your lab after going to a new program, it seems like your lab would welcome you back considering the time you've been with them. That was what happened in my case!

I did summer at my own research institution every semester (e.g. fall spring, summer, fall, spring summer). I probably could have gotten into any program across the country, but I stayed with my research lab simply because I could get more output; we were able to get a poster out to national conferences every summer and a few abstracts/publications. If you want to get more experience, I say go for going into another lab, but if you want to get more output, staying with your current lab seems the best bet considering yall are already writing up for a publication

I did summer at my own research institution every semester (e.g. fall spring, summer, fall, spring summer). I probably could have gotten into any program across the country, but I stayed with my research lab simply because I could get more output; we were able to get a poster out to national conferences every summer and a few abstracts/publications. If you want to get more experience, I say go for going into another lab, but if you want to get more output, staying with your current lab seems the best bet considering yall are already writing up for a publication
+1

I did not get a paper/poster out of the summer program experience I talked about above, but did get a paper and poster (with several more publications to come) out of the lab I ended up going back to. So this comment stands very true; it does depend on what you want (new/different experience vs. potentially more publications).

+1

I did not get a paper/poster out of the summer program experience I talked about above, but did get a paper and poster (with several more publications to come) out of the lab I ended up going back to. So this comment stands very true; it does depend on what you want (new/different experience vs. potentially more publications).

Yes, either way you can't go wrong since either getting into a fellowship or getting more output looks great on your application anyhow.

I was in the same situation, and I chose to stay at my home institution because the offer was better.

But that's just me.

Generally speaking:

Home for greater productivity.
Away for better overall experience.