Is it difficult to match back to New York as a DO for pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigoofam

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from NY and will be beginning at MSUCOM later this year. My wife works in NYC and I would love to match back into the city since we envision settling down there. I understand I have to study hard and do well on exams and get all my ducks in a row, but is NYC an unrealistic goal for someone attending a DO program? I'll have taken a few gap years before entering med school and am pretty set on pathology from my previous experiences, not much interest in the super competitive specialties either.

I tried to do some research into MSUCOM's match list history and there are not many graduates going to NY for residency regardless of specialty. I can't really tell if the majority of students are from the midwest and tend to stay there or if it's that difficult to end up in NY.

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, putting location aside though, is it even feasible to match as a DO
My school had two derm matches, 4 ortho, an ENT, and an optho just this year- it is definitely possible. You just need to grind and make connections early.

My school had two derm matches, 4 ortho, an ENT, and an optho just this year- it is definitely possible. You just need to grind and make connections early.
Did the others apply FM and IM because they preferred those, or did they feel they were the only options.

I'm not counting on getting into Derm, but maybe Psych or PM&R. Dunno how much more difficult those are for DOs

Did the others apply FM and IM because they preferred those, or did they feel they were the only options.

I'm not counting on getting into Derm, but maybe Psych or PM&R. Dunno how much more difficult those are for DOs
Most everybody applies to what they want to do, we had majority of the psych applicants match with COMLEX only. The ones who took step matched into academic programs. PM&R is also pretty feasible, although it is more competitive than Psych due to the limited number of spots.

I am from NY and will be beginning at MSUCOM later this year. My wife works in NYC and I would love to match back into the city since we envision settling down there. I understand I have to study hard and do well on exams and get all my ducks in a row, but is NYC an unrealistic goal for someone attending a DO program? I'll have taken a few gap years before entering med school and am pretty set on pathology from my previous experiences, not much interest in the super competitive specialties either.

I tried to do some research into MSUCOM's match list history and there are not many graduates going to NY for residency regardless of specialty. I can't really tell if the majority of students are from the midwest and tend to stay there or if it's that difficult to end up in NY.

TIA!
People at my COM routinely matched into top programs like UCLA, WashU, etc. If you just want to be in NYC without being picky, you should be able to match