REI Away - meeting with PD/chair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in other threads but I didn't find them too helpful... so please advise! I'm doing an REI away rotation at a program I'm interested in. I get to work with REI attendings, Fellows and 1 or 2 residents. No time with other attendings or the department chair. What's the appropriate way of asking to meet with the department chair? I would like people to at lease know me by name when they see my application. I'm afraid if I just stick with the REI people those who are reading my application will think "huh, she did a rotation here according to her transcript but why in the world do I not remember her??!" also what are some good things to ask if/when I do meet with her? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask to meet with the Program Director instead of the Chair. It would also be a good idea to ask to do a night on-call on the labor floor. This is where you will spend half of your time in the residency. You will meet more residents and more attendings that way.