Does the thrill of L&D fade away with time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolready95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is interest in obstetrics (specifically L&D) enough to pick OB/Gyn as a specialty? Does the thrill of L&D fade away with time and become just a job?

Members don't see this ad.

Is interest in obstetrics (specifically L&D) enough to pick OB/Gyn as a specialty? Does the thrill of L&D fade away with time and become just a job?
Yes, it fades.

Admitting a patient at 2am gets old.

Having to physically come in and deliver a patient or do an emergency section at 4am is exhausting when you get older.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For probably 99% of anesthesiologists, OB is the bane of our existence, seems to be the same for most OB’s I interact with

Reactions: 3 users
Counterargument: I love it.

I'm 3 years out of residency, and I've narrowed my practice to inpatient L&D / outpatient family planning. L&D is never boring. There is always something going on, whether that be extremely acute patients with major medical issues, or weird husbands that make funny anecdotes, or just crazy birth stories. There's a lot of camaraderie on L&D, especially in the middle of the night.

Now, I'm not going in to deliver someone at 3 am and then having to be at clinic at 7:30 either. I don't have any clinic as part of my practice. That sounds miserable. I'm also good at sleeping whenever, wherever. My circadian rhythm and my sanity do not depend on me having a regular sleep schedule. Not true for all people.

Also, if you are just interested in L&D, there are plenty of hospitalist/laborist only type jobs. There will always be a need someone to take L&D call.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it fades. Intrapartum management is boring. As a student you really only get to experience the delivery portion, which is still somewhat fun for me but losing its thrill because repairing lacerations isn’t fun and pushing for 1 hour is tedious. You don’t really experience the waiting around (at least, I didn’t).

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe it’s because I work in a resource-poor hospital but the needle drivers are always too short or never ratchet securely and there aren’t any sidewall retractors in the set. Makes repairing sulcal lacs an exercise in growing a third hand.