Realistic chances to match into Peds as a DO? What to do for 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waddlinpenguin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brief overview: Current OMS-III student. Hoping to match into pediatrics residency with hopes of going into neonatology fellowship. Big red flag would be my low COMLEX level 1 score at 418 and advisor has advised me not to take Step 1 since we are moving into P/F the following year.
What happened here was a series of events that did not stack well. I gave birth to a newborn in late January which I took care of 24/7. My partner has Bipolar 1 and his current medications knocks him out at night so he physically could not wake up to help feed the little one. My newborn was completely breastfed hence why he was my sole responsibility while my partner cares for our 2 year old toddler. Come dedicated board studying time, my partner was feeling stressed about moving for my 3rd year rotations and decided to relieve it by screaming my name repetitively for an hour multiple times a day. I couldn’t even move to a different location to study because I had my newborn and the walls in the house was VERY THIN. He decided to put a cherry on top of that by deciding to move 1 week before my exam because that was the only time his dad could come help us move. Since my school had a designated timeline for the Students to take level 1, I wasn’t even able to postpone it.
TLDR: sleep deprived + newborn + screaming toddler&partner + poor study location + unable to postpone exam + moving to a new location 1 week prior to exam = low score
Clinical rotations: They don’t give out honors but I have been receiving As in all my rotations so far (IM1+2, FM1+2, Peds, Psych) and passing my elective rotations (P/F only; neonatology, Heme/Onc). I had 1 week elective rotation in Peds ID but got kicked out because the attending herself was getting fired(?; at least that’s what the attending said was happening, not really sure what happened but essentially they said it wasn’t my fault and the other student on the same rotation had to rotate elsewhere as well). Pretty sure I have good LORs since on my evaluation, the student director (also one of the attending in IM rotation), said that should I be interested in the field of IM, they would take me in as a resident in their program.
Current LORs (5): student director/IM, neonatology, Peds, Heme/onc, FM
Research: single publication pending
Leadership roles/extracurricular activities (med school only/ not including undergrad activities): VP of SaGE club, VP of Wellness committee, pediatrics club member, participated in multiple community outreach activities, St.baldricks and coopers carnival.

Several Qs:
1. What rotations should I be taking for 4th year to make myself stand out more and where would you recommend? I heard Peds ID and Peds Endo would be a good start in addition to SubIs.
2. I am originally from NY and would like to go back and be closer to home. A lot of the programs require a minimum COMLEX level 1 score of 450 which I don’t have. Would it still be wise to try to get an audition rotation in those programs?
3. I know with my low board score and lack of research would not make me a competitive contender and its best to apply broadly. Problem with this is that I’m having difficulties finding programs that take DO students with low board score. Is there a specific program or site that people use to make this process easier to compile other than going into the individual sites to look for info that may not even be there (some programs I looked at literally only says apply via ERAS). Seriously on the struggle bus in this department.

Thank you all in advance for any input you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You’ll match peds, just apply broadly. Unfortunately there isn’t really a good tool except to go to individual program websites. I would focus mainly on community/communiversity peds and low tier uni programs

Reactions: 1 users
Apply where you want to go. Then apply to a lot more places. That’s all you can really do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your comlex may be low but due to extremely low pay, peds is one of the easiest fields in medicine to match. I don't think you're going to have any problems.

That being said, since you do have a geographical preference, I would do aways in NY during your fourth year. A lot of the time those board limits can be flexible if they really like you. I would reach out to the PC directly, or to any resident you have a connection with (such as someone from your school at that program) to ask if they have heard of people with lower scores being taken if they auditioned well. I think those score limits are program-specific as to whether they're actually enforced.

Start on your residency package NOW! Use Frieda and Doximity to research programs. You can explain your situation in your letter. Also, have you taken the pre-test for Step 1? If you believe you can raise your percentile to offset the low Comlex score, I would recommend taking Step 1. Some programs use the Step 1 score as an initial screen. How is your score on Comlex-2? You might want to consider hiring a consultant to assist you in the application and positioning process to ease your mind and allow you to focus on the study of medicine. Check with the school for additional resources and support you may need for your family and your own wellness.

Look into University of Illinois COM-Peoria (UICOMP). Excellent peds residency, very DO- friendly. PD very nice and very pro-resident. They also have a neonatology fellowship. Not sure what they look for on COMLEX, but would be good program to look at. (I’m EM faculty and know the peds program well). Best of luck in your search.

You’re fine. Peds really just doesn’t like failures. They don’t care if it’s a low pass. Audition at previous DO programs

I don't mind putting myself out there like this, but I got my 1st choice match to a Peds residency at an academic hospital with a lower COMLEX 1 score than you. (It was a 407 - I'm terrible with test-taking)

Having said that, Peds is very much about being the right fit for the program as opposed to just having a competitive app. They will rank applicants higher purely because they are a better fit, they don't prioritize scores as much, but first-time failures are a big deal. When I was looking for programs, the first thing I did was look on the website to see their current list of residents. If there is only 1 DO resident or none at all, I didn't bother applying. It helps if you have extracurriculars that support wanting to do Peds as well. But you need a good reason why you want pediatrics specifically. There are a good number that apply Peds as backups for other, more competitive, specialties and that's not what we want. If you would like any info about my program, I would be happy to chat, just PM me. I love my program and my co-residents and I have learned an insane amount in only my first year! I am starting PGY2 now :). Best of luck!

I don't mind putting myself out there like this, but I got my 1st choice match to a Peds residency at an academic hospital with a lower COMLEX 1 score than you. (It was a 407 - I'm terrible with test-taking)

Having said that, Peds is very much about being the right fit for the program as opposed to just having a competitive app. They will rank applicants higher purely because they are a better fit, they don't prioritize scores as much, but first-time failures are a big deal. When I was looking for programs, the first thing I did was look on the website to see their current list of residents. If there is only 1 DO resident or none at all, I didn't bother applying. It helps if you have extracurriculars that support wanting to do Peds as well. But you need a good reason why you want pediatrics specifically. There are a good number that apply Peds as backups for other, more competitive, specialties and that's not what we want. If you would like any info about my program, I would be happy to chat, just PM me. I love my program and my co-residents and I have learned an insane amount in only my first year! I am starting PGY2 now :). Best of luck!
Can I PM you? I have a similar situations and questions. (sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread)