RCAF Pilot vs Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LVFT7774

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, so I've been having a little bit of a crisis as to what I want to pursue once I'm done my undergrad.

Since I started university, and even before that, I had wanted to be a dentist. Mostly due to my orthodontist and how amazing my smile looked after my transformation from my (sorry for the stereotype) "British teeth". But I've always had a fascination for flying, in particular, being a Canadian military pilot. I've always loved the fast jets and the massive C-130's since I went to my first air show when I was younger.

My predicament is, I have taken the DAT and have kept my GPA up for dental school standards, and if I apply right out of University, I would lose my chance at becoming a military pilot as they only train people 25 years old and younger, and unfortunately I would be 26 by the time I finished dental if I was accepted right after my undergrad. I didn't think there was a way I could do both. But I found that if I do decide to become a pilot, I will only have to serve for 7 years, after which I could apply to dental school, which will put me at an age of 29 when I apply. I understand that I will have to retake the DAT, I would just like some input based on if people think this is a smart way to get the best of both, or if I should just pursue dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you've answered your own question my friend. If you're truly looking to pursue both (not entirely sure why... I would choose one or the other), the only way you can do this is military first and dentistry second. Idk how the military works in Canada, but they might even pay for your dental education after you've put in your seven years.

I fly the f18. But I begin dental school this summer. If you want to fly anything other than a Cessna, become a military pilot first, serve your time and then transition into dentistry. You can be a dentist into your 70s, but not a pilot of planes that do good work.
If you choose aviation first, I recommend a science class here or there and staying current-ish for the dat, so the activation energy of retaking it doesn't crush you. Possibly retaking the dat asap, but within the window to apply to schools after an aviation commitment.
If you choose dentistry, you can get established then pursue flying as a hobby.
I will say this. Think about the life style you want. In my opinion, they are both fantastic careers that require many of the same skills, knowledge, and focus, but the lifestyles of two professions differ greatly. PM me of you want to discuss more. Be excited with both options, I'm slightly biased, but I think they're both great choices.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People usually have multiple dream careers, but pursuing each one of them isn't generally possible because of many conflicting interests.

In your case, both of your dream careers are quite possible! If you truly want to be a pilot, do military first and dentistry after. Dentistry can always wait, while the former can not. I'm sure the thought practicing (starting) dentistry at 34 might be a turn off for some, but that's not even old by any means. Moreover, your experience as a pilot will only make you stand out of your application. If I were you, I wouldn't at all mind taking the DAT (again) later on. If you put your mind to it, anything is possible.

Also, I'm not a Canadian, but I'm sure in the States you can perhaps get some of your tuition covered if you take the military route. I hope there's a similar case in Canada for you.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
One more consideration as nowaysurvey mentioned. The GI Bill is earned in the US military during the course of an aviation commitment and will cover 100% of the tuition of a public dental school. Hopefully Canada has a similar program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you feel the want to serve do it! There's a finite period of time that you'll be to do that. Dental school will be waiting and imagine the life experiences you'll have to take with you to dental school! I'm partial because my husband flies them but the C130 is a pretty cool airplane with a great mission! That plane took him to 39 different countries in just 4 years. I think you have answered your own question!