Radiology to radiation oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medicine ebbs and flows. There are fields that are highly desirable one year and seemingly overnight become bottom of the barrel. When I was applying, Radiology was in the dumps. Now it's become quite lucrative and desirable. To some extent you have to do something that you don't hate, but you also have to be realistic about the outlook of the field you're choosing. Based on the market factors at play for radonc, I don't foresee the field being worth a roll of the dice until spots are cut to 50% of their current level for 10-15 years to allow for the job market to recover.

Even if you don't like radiology, the worst case scenario is that you make good money, have good quality of life, can live anywhere, and don't like your job. In radonc you're not even guaranteed to have a job you hate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Medicine ebbs and flows. There are fields that are highly desirable one year and seemingly overnight become bottom of the barrel. When I was applying, Radiology was in the dumps. Now it's become quite lucrative and desirable. To some extent you have to do something that you don't hate, but you also have to be realistic about the outlook of the field you're choosing. Based on the market factors at play for radonc, I don't foresee the field being worth a roll of the dice until spots are cut to 50% of their current level for 10-15 years to allow for the job market to recover.

Even if you don't like radiology, the worst case scenario is that you make good money, have good quality of life, can live anywhere, and don't like your job. In radonc you're not even guaranteed to have a job you hate.
Radiology was never in the business of putting itself out of business afaik

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Radiology was never in the business of putting itself out of business afaik
For real. Our job issues were CMS hating us. MRI was cut 64% from 2005 DRA to now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
????

I mean yeah I prefer RO patient population compared to the multitude of patients MO have to see on the (rare) days they're in clinic... but not living with yourself morally? What does that mean?
I guess if you think med onc is a swell area of medicine you probably think Pfizer etc are in to 'cure' this case of the cold thats beeen going around. There's a reason every patient hates their med onc and not their rad onc, and that med oncs are the most sued doctors in the country.

May not be able to live w/ yourself morally but you could live with yourself and all the fat royalties?!

Nah, would rather have my penis mutilated on live tv than be a med onc

• Okay...
I guess if you think med onc is a swell area of medicine you probably think Pfizer etc are in to 'cure' this case of the cold thats beeen going around. There's a reason every patient hates their med onc and not their rad onc, and that med oncs are the most sued doctors in the country.

Medoncs are not the most sued doctors in the country:

Proof?

Edit: glad @OTN cleared that up quickly. Pretty outlandish/trollish comments imo

Reactions: 2 users
Proof?

Edit: glad @OTN cleared that up quickly. Pretty outlandish/trollish comments imo
Not outlandish or trolling at all. Your mentality is why this field is going nowhere. No nuance at all.

• Haha
Not outlandish or trolling at all. Your mentality is why this field is going nowhere. No nuance at all.

But...I just above disproved what you wrote. Right up there. Take a look.

I'm not sure "I'd rather have my genitalia mutilated on live tv rather than be a medonc" is a statement filled with nuance.

• Haha

Bruh. You practicing in the US? Don't hate 'em cause you ain't em.

This is the weirdest vendetta I've ever seen in my life. Like yeah, we all bitch about med oncs from time to time... but they obviously help us a lot with all the **** we mostly don't want to do and help a decent number of our curative cases have a better chance at it. To have this much vitriol? Tell me where the med onc hurt you, bigman!

• Haha
Bruh. You practicing in the US? Don't hate 'em cause you ain't em.

This is the weirdest vendetta I've ever seen in my life. Like yeah, we all bitch about med oncs from time to time... but they obviously help us a lot with all the **** we mostly don't want to do and help a decent number of our curative cases have a better chance at it. To have this much vitriol? Tell me where the med onc hurt you, bigman!
They hurt me when they steal patients and manage them improperly...this forum is odd.

Does radiation oncology residency require the same degree of outside studying that radiology typically entails?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does radiation oncology residency require the same degree of outside studying that radiology typically entails?
According to this forum, the answer is yes. However, unlikely radiology where we learn useful things, they undertake Talmudic study of trial outcome statistics so they can look smarter at tumor board.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Rad onc requires tons of studying on your own which will be more painful if you end up in a hellpit. You will have to basically teach yourself oncology, imaging anatomy, read books and on top of that four board exams which includes an oral (hardest boarding of any specialty). All of this for you to be told be happy you get A job.

Rad onc requires tons of studying on your own which will be more painful if you end up in a hellpit. You will have to basically teach yourself oncology, imaging anatomy, read books and on top of that four board exams which includes an oral (hardest boarding of any specialty). All of this for you to be told be happy you get A job.
Yeesh. A part of what I dislike is the amount of studying after work required in rads which I'm not interested in studying about anyways.

Yeesh. A part of what I dislike is the amount of studying after work required in rads which I'm not interested in studying about anyways.
At least rads got rid of their oral exam. Honestly RO still needs it now considering the quality of people they are matching at hellpits these days

How is there even time for four exams?? Are these done during residency?

Happiness comes from your relationships? Pick radiology.

What happened to me can easily happen to you.

I have a family. My wife and I tried hard to end up in one specific REGION of the country, with a clear bias towards and ties to two cities. I couldn't even get an INTERVIEW in that REGION as a resident. I applied to every job within 100 miles of those cities--nothing. So I applied all over the country and got offers in two random locations. I picked the one that wasn't an academic satellite in a frigid cold location six months of the year. It turned out they lied to me about so much about the job. My wife HATED it in the location where I took my job for many reasons, far from family, poor job opportunities in her area, etc. So as I'm applying to 100+ new jobs as a first, second, and third year attending, being well underpaid as a radiation oncologist in a malignant department, my wife threatens to leave me and take the kids. During that time I was looking desperately and applying to anything I could find, I got maybe one interview a year on average.

I was between radiation oncology and radiology, and I view not picking radiology is the biggest mistake of my life. Don't throw away your opportunity to go where you want and flexibility to jump ship if you end up in the wrong job.

My story is eerily similar to DN's. I cannot fully explain the psychological effect of losing your life partner due to geographical restrictions imposed by your specialty choice. I struggled with the few job offers I had out of residency, all in undesirable locations. The one I finally took, I figured I would be at least well paid and valued there. Wrong. Not only did I lose my SO but I was despised by the sociopaths that ran the place who conspired to make my life a living hell until I quit. Back to starting over 3 years later, older, and in a personally and professionally far worse situation than what you started as. I'm almost 40 and all of my possessions from the houses I owned in med school and residency are still in long term storage. I've been living in short term rentals/extended stays since due to unstable job situation. Think this is how I envisioned my life turning out post-residency?

The OP absolutely should continue with radiology. The trap he/she is falling into is still thinking like a med student regarding what is academically interesting and not viewing it as a job. Radiology will allow you to live just about anywhere while earning at a minimum double what a PCP makes, who can also live anywhere. That is worth its weight in gold. One of the few friends I made at my first job was a radiologist. He wasn't extremely enthusiastic about his career choice and having to read all day grinds on him. However, he is on vacation once a month. Just called me from a helicopter ride in the Grand Canyon. He's always doing something fun and said his philosophy was "don't kill yourself working hard so you can enjoy your retirement but instead try to live a little bit of your retirement all the while you are working." The group I work with right now doesn't really believe in vacation and tried to gaslight me telling me that "it's unheard of for a doctor to take more than 4 weeks of vacation." Radiologists regularly take 12+. As someone who previously had this much time off, its effect on your well-being cannot be understated. It's extremely rare to find a rad onc job that deviates from the 8-5 M-F 25 days of PTO model, and actually getting and scheduling time off can be sometimes impossible. I have a partner who has not been on vacation in 3 years. I'd like to take a month and go to South America and do a Spanish immersion course. Think I can do that in rad onc? Fat chance. When they ask about your hobbies on a job interview, you will get funny looks if you say you like to travel, or maybe a story about how they were able to take a week-long trip to Cancun a few years ago, like that's what you meant and to suggest that's about all you can expect. In radiology or anesthesiology, travelling extensively is a normal and common extracurricular activity. Once, on an interview, I mentioned that I am out of clinic on Fridays and often drive out and go skiing for a long weekend. The oncology manager (an RN) became visibly angry and started huffing and puffing and, said "I don't understand that, we work five days a week here, FIVE DAYS A WEEK." I did not get the job, and I obviously would not have wanted it anyway. I had similar experiences elsewhere. Silly me with the expectations of being an independent professional after a decade of training and setting my own schedule.

You will pigeon-hole yourself in rad onc. I probably can never return to the part of the country I grew up in where my parents still live. My residency location and prior work experience mean my C.V. is not considered anywhere outside of this region. After all, as a community doctor, what can you even put on your C.V. to distinguish you? I don't publish, and I can't write "I'm a really good doctor and care about my patients, trust me." So my C.V. just lists my residency location and work experience, and that's it and bouncing around jobs in a part of the country people make fun of looks really bad. I applied for a job in a very desirable location once and a partner actually emailed me saying how competitive it was and thanks for applying, but basically they would never consider somebody like me. Why not? I'm BC, extremely efficient and productive, and take pride in delivering high quality care. My patients love me. But my C.V. does not say Harvard and/or MD Anderson on it. That's the stupid game we play.

You won't have this problem in radiology. The truth is, rad onc residency can be extremely easy, especially these days. You don't have to study every night (I didn't). You can cram for boards (a brutal month of 8 hour studying days per exam, orals was more like 12). The education process is stupid. The residency doesn't prepare you to practice independently. It's mostly med-student level shadowing and note-writing with educational activities focused on preparing you to pass 4 stupid exams testing 30 year old trial data. I don't know about other people, but I don't have a great long-term memory when it comes to memorizing. If I am not constantly studying flashcards, I will forget exam trivia. I cannot tell you the outcomes of the VA Larynx trial off the top of my head anymore, let alone p-values. I cannot tell you anything beyond the basics about physics and radiobiology. Signaling pathways? Forget about it. Long gone. Yet, I can practice radiation oncology, a great deal of which I taught myself my first year out. Funny how that works. It was college all over, wasting years memorizing things you will just forget and never use. Wasting years when you are 19-22 isn't a huge loss. It is when you are 30-35. Those are years when you are supposed to be building families and careers, not acting like a college student. In radiology, your studying, while intense, will hopefully be something you retain and put to use every day.

DO NOT SWITCH INTO RADIATION ONCOLOGY.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Not sure why we are always trying to decrease the role for radiation but at the same time can’t figure out ways to make it more of a work-life balance without having to make every employed position now the typical 8-5, M-F.

Definitely can have more flexibility and not impact patient care or numbers, unless you have taken on an admin role, which usually means they are the ones enforcing the other docs to stay and babysit the clinic.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Not sure why we are always trying to decrease the role for radiation but at the same time can’t figure out ways to make it more of a work-life balance without having to make every employed position now the typical 8-5, M-F.

Definitely can have more flexibility and not impact patient care or numbers, unless you have taken on an admin role, which usually means they are the ones enforcing the other docs to stay and babysit the clinic.

It's a culture thing, which is what I was getting at. Radiology has a culture of valuing time off.

With changes in supervision requirements and an oversupplied labor market, there is no reason rad onc couldn't also have a culture of flexible work schedules. Having an entire generation of med school gunners enter this field will ensure this culture continues. One week off per month is absolutely do-able in this field, but the optics make you look weak if you even want to talk about it. Thankfully 4 day weeks are seeming to be more common (however many places will still make you come in on your off day and appear to be busy on admin work lest it look like a vacation day), but vacation coverage will always be a problem due to the large contingent of rad oncs who view it as a taboo topic and don't see eye-to-eye on cross covering colleagues patients or paying for locums coverage.

The amount of studying extraneous information was one of the worst parts of residency for me. I think I had to study physics just as much as clinical rad onc. The rad bio exam is now testing minutiae of cell signaling pathways.

It's a culture thing, which is what I was getting at. Radiology has a culture of valuing time off.

With changes in supervision requirements and an oversupplied labor market, there is no reason rad onc couldn't also have a culture of flexible work schedules. Having an entire generation of med school gunners enter this field will ensure this culture continues. One week off per month is absolutely do-able in this field, but the optics make you look weak if you even want to talk about it. Thankfully 4 day weeks are seeming to be more common (however many places will still make you come in on your off day and appear to be busy on admin work lest it look like a vacation day), but vacation coverage will always be a problem due to the large contingent of rad oncs who view it as a taboo topic and don't see eye-to-eye on cross covering colleagues patients or paying for locums coverage.

I'm one of those radoncs. Oncology is different than radiology. I would not hire a potential partner who was interested in 12 weeks off per year.

I'm one of those radoncs. Oncology is different than radiology. I would not hire a potential partner who was interested in 12 weeks off per year.
Aren’t you paid by productivity? You cant take time off without your salary going down?

Aren’t you paid by productivity? You cant take time off without your salary going down?
It's hard to keep continuity of care and maintain a robust independent practice with weeks and weeks out of clinic.

The only way I see it happening is two partners on the same wavelength where the referrings see them as interchangeable

It's hard to keep continuity of care and maintain a robust independent practice with weeks and weeks out of clinic.

The only way I see it happening is two partners on the same wavelength where the referrings see them as interchangeable

Totally agree. You have to have a partner(s) with the same goals. I have seen private practices where time off is emphasized over income and I've also seen others where the focus is primarily on the profitability of the business and it's frowned upon to be out. It can't be mix-and-match. It works better as a hospital employee where you have a reliable backup. Totally do-able to work a busy 3 on, then 1 off while having the backup guy handle anything emergent while you are out. Or an employed department where there are multiple employees such that there is always a full-time guy available to see new referrals quickly. I know people in employed gigs like this where they each take 10-12 weeks off per year. This is uncommon though as most employed jobs have policies and procedures where you accrue PTO up to a maximum of 5-6 weeks per year and have to formally take it off the same way the 8-5 salaried office employees do. Workshare arrangements where you handle it with your partner to make sure the clinic is always staffed usually doesn't fly if you're an employee.

My point is, as OTN points out, it's uncommon in rad onc. The expectation is that you will not leave town often, and being out of clinic for more than 5 contiguous days presents numerous challenges. If things like international travel are an interest to you, it may not be the best field due to the continuity of care issue and logistical challenges in many practices. Radiology doesn't have this problem. Given that many of the decent job opportunities are in small town America, you may be stuck in a location without much to do around it and few opportunities to leave for the rest of your career. Something to seriously think about.

I can take as much as I want off, but yes my income would go down. That's less of a concern than the overall impact it would have on my referrings opinions of me and my practice.

Reactions: 5 users
I can take as much as I want off, but yes my income would go down. That's less of a concern than the overall impact it would have on my referrings opinions of me and my practice.
It's definitely different when you are the only game in town and referrings are more checked out and view referring for RT like ordering an MRI.

Practices will also be different as to whether they hire out vacation coverage or cover it internally, and if the latter how that will affect your collections payout.
If you like to get out of town often, and you are in a practice where vacations are handled internally and collections are evenly split, you are going to have a bad time.

Wow. These answers have been phenomenal. I can't think of any other field that is so brutally honest about their own specialty. Definitely making me greatly reconsider. I had heard Dr. Parikh's speech and seen the years of doom and gloom posts since my med school days but these posts really hit home.

Maybe I could do DR/NM combined and work at a small academic center and get involved in radionuclide therapy and feel patient connected that way?

Reactions: 1 users
Totally agree. You have to have a partner(s) with the same goals. I have seen private practices where time off is emphasized over income and I've also seen others where the focus is primarily on the profitability of the business and it's frowned upon to be out. It can't be mix-and-match. It works better as a hospital employee where you have a reliable backup. Totally do-able to work a busy 3 on, then 1 off while having the backup guy handle anything emergent while you are out. Or an employed department where there are multiple employees such that there is always a full-time guy available to see new referrals quickly. I know people in employed gigs like this where they each take 10-12 weeks off per year. This is uncommon though as most employed jobs have policies and procedures where you accrue PTO up to a maximum of 5-6 weeks per year and have to formally take it off the same way the 8-5 salaried office employees do. Workshare arrangements where you handle it with your partner to make sure the clinic is always staffed usually doesn't fly if you're an employee.

I would have loved a setup like this. My job is postioned perfectly for this to happen in a few years.
Except the hospital won't budge on time off, strict scheduling criteria, can't have too much time off, etc.

Barring severe coverage issues, 20 or less of a general population on treatment is doable in 4 days per week, maybe 3 depending on how you spend those days. For some reasons hospitals want us there twiddling thumbs or attending millions of useless meetings.

Wow. These answers have been phenomenal. I can't think of any other field that is so brutally honest about their own specialty. Definitely making me greatly reconsider. I had heard Dr. Parikh's speech and seen the years of doom and gloom posts since my med school days but these posts really hit home.

Maybe I could do DR/NM combined and work at a small academic center and get involved in radionuclide therapy and feel patient connected that way?
Would definitely do nucs but make sure you do it through DR. Nuclear medicine as a standalone specialty is pretty much dead these days, not even sure there are any nucs only training spots at this point

Would definitely do nucs but make sure you do it through DR. Nuclear medicine as a standalone specialty is pretty much dead these days, not even sure there are any nucs only training spots at this point
There are. At least at my hospital. Seems predatory.

Just a little of what I've heard makes it sound like radionuclide therapy here in America is 20 years behind Europe and that the field is ready to expand. But from what all I see, nucs does RAI, some neuroendocrine tumors and maybe limited prostate stuff. Do you guys see a paradigm shift happening?

4 day week with 6 weeks vacation is not bad and seems reasonable to attain.

The main issues are location and the ceiling is capped. Everyone gets real mad when an efficient and hard working doctor makes >$1mil. “Need a new doc, don’t want you to burn out.”

Doesn’t matter. The math is jacked. I don’t see this as sustainable. That’s the one thing the academics will never engage about - the math. More docs, less patients, less indications, less fractions, less dollars per fraction.

The talk I’ve been giving to residents goes into the difference in workload and RVU generation. It should frighten anyone.

There are. At least at my hospital. Seems predatory.

Just a little of what I've heard makes it sound like radionuclide therapy here in America is 20 years behind Europe and that the field is ready to expand. But from what all I see, nucs does RAI, some neuroendocrine tumors and maybe limited prostate stuff. Do you guys see a paradigm shift happening?
Out in the community, it's mostly RO doing it since a nucs only practice just wouldn't survive

Nuc med is pretty much relegated to large hospital systems, I've never seen one out in the wild in smaller communities. We do it all, rai xofigo, i refer my lutatheras out to RO in a bigger facility, even then it's a turf battle where RO sometimes wins

Financially, these newer radiopharmaceutical therapies carry big price tags and narrow margins, minimal reimbursement on the physician professional side either

I’m DR/NM (with an MSK fellowship too; scars from when Radiology was very hard to find a job).

Theragnostics is growing. The killer for private practice is that it pays crap. The payment model needs to change. Big academic / large community places (think intermountain size) can afford to do this work.

When the next gen radionuclides come, things will accelerate. Ac225 and Pb212 are exciting in the early papers.

I would have loved a setup like this. My job is postioned perfectly for this to happen in a few years.
Except the hospital won't budge on time off, strict scheduling criteria, can't have too much time off, etc.

Barring severe coverage issues, 20 or less of a general population on treatment is doable in 4 days per week, maybe 3 depending on how you spend those days. For some reasons hospitals want us there twiddling thumbs or attending millions of useless meetings.

I had a setup like this before agreed to by an admin that was subsequently fired (likely contributing to it). The hospital hated it. Let me explain why: Suppose the clinic brought in 700k in pro collections. If they paid me 550k and paid the locums 150k. The hospital did not view that as an even deal. They wanted me to make 550k and pocket the rest. It would not have lasted and I would have been given the option to go back to the standard PTO scheme with maybe a small bump in pay or else have the 90 day out clause executed. Also, the optics of it were terrible. Even though I did all the work and busted my butt to handoff patients and clean up when I got back, the locums just saw OTVs while I was gone, staff accused me of being lazy and not caring about patients.

Hospitals have this stupid idea of "getting their moneys worth" out of you. If you are sitting there doing nothing, somehow they think this qualifies. If you do all the work then take PTO, they think you are hosing them. The ideal setup would be finding a semi-retired rad onc nearby, setting up an LLC, and contracting with the hospital to staff the clinic. You can then split the time however you see fit. As an employee though, they want to control those decisions.

I had a setup like this before agreed to by an admin that was subsequently fired (likely contributing to it). The hospital hated it. Let me explain why: Suppose the clinic brought in 700k in pro collections. If they paid me 550k and paid the locums 150k. The hospital did not view that as an even deal. They wanted me to make 550k and pocket the rest. It would not have lasted and I would have been given the option to go back to the standard PTO scheme with maybe a small bump in pay or else have the 90 day out clause executed. Also, the optics of it were terrible. Even though I did all the work and busted my butt to handoff patients and clean up when I got back, the locums just saw OTVs while I was gone, staff accused me of being lazy and not caring about patients.

Hospitals have this stupid idea of "getting their moneys worth" out of you. If you are sitting there doing nothing, somehow they think this qualifies. If you do all the work then take PTO, they think you are hosing them. The ideal setup would be finding a semi-retired rad onc nearby, setting up an LLC, and contracting with the hospital to staff the clinic. You can then split the time however you see fit. As an employee though, they want to control those decisions.
I don’t understand
Can you explain beginning part in a simpler way? Doesn’t make sense or I’m just not reading correctly

I don’t understand
Can you explain beginning part in a simpler way? Doesn’t make sense or I’m just not reading correctly

I had essentially a workshare arrangement with someone who worked part-time. The clinic required a rad onc on site 5 days a week. I was on site about 75% of the time, and he was there the other 25%. I saw almost all of the consults and did almost all of the treatment planning. He was there mainly to satisfy coverage requirements and handle patient issues and emergent consults if I was out for more than a few days in a row. It worked well and there was no reason it couldn't have continued forever other than optics and the hospital not wanting to pay both of us.

I had essentially a workshare arrangement with someone who worked part-time. The clinic required a rad onc on site 5 days a week. I was on site about 75% of the time, and he was there the other 25%. I saw almost all of the consults and did almost all of the treatment planning. He was there mainly to satisfy coverage requirements and handle patient issues and emergent consults if I was out for more than a few days in a row. It worked well and there was no reason it couldn't have continued forever other than optics and the hospital not wanting to pay both of us.
I swear we must have crossed paths or I’m you in a multiverse kind of way. Everything you’re describing I’ve experienced. For the life of me, I could not understand why the admin cared so much how I functioned even if it meant I was even more productive. They actually would prefer we shut down the dept vs having a Locums in any capacity despite us making it easy for them. That hospital admin control is ridiculous.

Couldn't resist tapping into those professional fees. You'd think the technical would be enough, but no. Some admin wants to justify their salary so they steal it from the docs. Same crap in Radiology. Luckily, our demand is currently sky high.

They still have to pay a locums tho

And if they are paying CompHealth, the fee to them is super high. Say it 25% - that’s 260/4 = 65 coverage days. $2k to doc, $700 to CH. That’s >$150k.

I’m not saying you’re not telling the truth. This sounds bat****.

The talk I’ve been giving to residents goes into the difference in workload and RVU generation. It should frighten anyone.
You don't have this in a podcast yet by chance?

. However, he is on vacation once a month. Just called me from a helicopter ride in the Grand Canyon. He's always doing something fun and said his p
My story is eerily similar to DN's. I cannot fully explain the psychological effect of losing your life partner due to geographical restrictions imposed by your specialty choice. I struggled with the few job offers I had out of residency, all in undesirable locations. The one I finally took, I figured I would be at least well paid and valued there. Wrong. Not only did I lose my SO but I was despised by the sociopaths that ran the place who conspired to make my life a living hell until I quit. Back to starting over 3 years later, older, and in a personally and professionally far worse situation than what you started as. I'm almost 40 and all of my possessions from the houses I owned in med school and residency are still in long term storage. I've been living in short term rentals/extended stays since due to unstable job situation. Think this is how I envisioned my life turning out post-residency?

The OP absolutely should continue with radiology. The trap he/she is falling into is still thinking like a med student regarding what is academically interesting and not viewing it as a job. Radiology will allow you to live just about anywhere while earning at a minimum double what a PCP makes, who can also live anywhere. That is worth its weight in gold. One of the few friends I made at my first job was a radiologist. He wasn't extremely enthusiastic about his career choice and having to read all day grinds on him. However, he is on vacation once a month. Just called me from a helicopter ride in the Grand Canyon. He's always doing something fun and said his philosophy was "don't kill yourself working hard so you can enjoy your retirement but instead try to live a little bit of your retirement all the while you are working." The group I work with right now doesn't really believe in vacation and tried to gaslight me telling me that "it's unheard of for a doctor to take more than 4 weeks of vacation." Radiologists regularly take 12+. As someone who previously had this much time off, its effect on your well-being cannot be understated. It's extremely rare to find a rad onc job that deviates from the 8-5 M-F 25 days of PTO model, and actually getting and scheduling time off can be sometimes impossible. I have a partner who has not been on vacation in 3 years. I'd like to take a month and go to South America and do a Spanish immersion course. Think I can do that in rad onc? Fat chance. When they ask about your hobbies on a job interview, you will get funny looks if you say you like to travel, or maybe a story about how they were able to take a week-long trip to Cancun a few years ago, like that's what you meant and to suggest that's about all you can expect. In radiology or anesthesiology, travelling extensively is a normal and common extracurricular activity. Once, on an interview, I mentioned that I am out of clinic on Fridays and often drive out and go skiing for a long weekend. The oncology manager (an RN) became visibly angry and started huffing and puffing and, said "I don't understand that, we work five days a week here, FIVE DAYS A WEEK." I did not get the job, and I obviously would not have wanted it anyway. I had similar experiences elsewhere. Silly me with the expectations of being an independent professional after a decade of training and setting my own schedule.

You will pigeon-hole yourself in rad onc. I probably can never return to the part of the country I grew up in where my parents still live. My residency location and prior work experience mean my C.V. is not considered anywhere outside of this region. After all, as a community doctor, what can you even put on your C.V. to distinguish you? I don't publish, and I can't write "I'm a really good doctor and care about my patients, trust me." So my C.V. just lists my residency location and work experience, and that's it and bouncing around jobs in a part of the country people make fun of looks really bad. I applied for a job in a very desirable location once and a partner actually emailed me saying how competitive it was and thanks for applying, but basically they would never consider somebody like me. Why not? I'm BC, extremely efficient and productive, and take pride in delivering high quality care. My patients love me. But my C.V. does not say Harvard and/or MD Anderson on it. That's the stupid game we play.

You won't have this problem in radiology. The truth is, rad onc residency can be extremely easy, especially these days. You don't have to study every night (I didn't). You can cram for boards (a brutal month of 8 hour studying days per exam, orals was more like 12). The education process is stupid. The residency doesn't prepare you to practice independently. It's mostly med-student level shadowing and note-writing with educational activities focused on preparing you to pass 4 stupid exams testing 30 year old trial data. I don't know about other people, but I don't have a great long-term memory when it comes to memorizing. If I am not constantly studying flashcards, I will forget exam trivia. I cannot tell you the outcomes of the VA Larynx trial off the top of my head anymore, let alone p-values. I cannot tell you anything beyond the basics about physics and radiobiology. Signaling pathways? Forget about it. Long gone. Yet, I can practice radiation oncology, a great deal of which I taught myself my first year out. Funny how that works. It was college all over, wasting years memorizing things you will just forget and never use. Wasting years when you are 19-22 isn't a huge loss. It is when you are 30-35. Those are years when you are supposed to be building families and careers, not acting like a college student. In radiology, your studying, while intense, will hopefully be something you retain and put to use every day.

DO NOT SWITCH INTO RADIATION ONCOLOGY.
Lots of wisdom in this post. Rad Onc really should be a fellowship after radiology.

I don’t think there is a standalone nucs anymore as it folded into dr. Can only go through dr? Seems like roadmap for our future.