Radiation Oncology on "Last Week Tonight" with John Oliver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Start at 7:45 time point.

Essentially, this segment is about "sponsored content" on local news broadcasts. Instead of a disclaimer on the news stating such, the information from these "sponsors" is presented as a fact-based news article. Specifically, it features Huntsman Cancer Center in Utah who bought time on a local news affiliate. Best quote: "If you are going to have prostate cancer, this is the time to have it."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
An academic center pushing ethical boundaries to drive patients to their center? You don’t say...

Reactions: 2 users

Essentially, this segment is about "sponsored content" on local news broadcasts. Instead of a disclaimer on the news stating such, the information from these "sponsors" is presented as a fact-based news article. Specifically, it features Huntsman Cancer Center in Utah who bought time on a local news affiliate. Best quote: "If you are going to have prostate cancer, this is the time to have it."

Wasn't that a Novalis they were showing in the video? A fine machine, but kind of about-20-year old tech in 2021. (Or even 2017 when I suppose Huntsman aired this.) "If you are going to have prostate cancer, this is the time to have it." Now... or within the last two decades. Either one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I want a Venus Veil. (Start at 16:20.) Too bad Mother's Day is behind us, or I'd get one for my wife.

Reactions: 1 users

Why wait until you actually have cancer? We should start putting in Spacers and treating with single fraction proton SBRT when guys turn 18 as prophylaxis. Waiting until you actually have cancer to do something about it sounds about as dumb as going without an extended home warranty. Don’t be that guy...

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
9:22 mark. I found that segment of the show more *stimulating* and amusing.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Rocket!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user