Quoted: Can I go to Med School Still?

MSmentor020

DO/Single student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys:
I am so excited, i hope to learn priceless info about med school here.
okay...now back to my reality....I am a total mess. i screwed up everything...but the prodigal has returned...anybody who can advice, please do so? i thank you in advance....
this is the story of my life:

high school gpa: 4.0
current undergrad gpa: 2.6 (junior status)
I entered my undergrad years with a premed focus and biochem major.....but i screwed up by partying too much and not going to classes or school, for that matter and everything is upside down now....so i didn't study for my science courses b/c it took time...
so bad grades so far.....

anthro: failed, repeated got a b
biol 101: repeated twice and got only d's
chem 101: got a d, didn't repeat
phys 101: got a c-, repeated got a c
math 132: failed

These above things ruined my gpa, otherwise my future. I have only myself to blame. i don't if you guys believe me, but i truly didn't open my book for these courses. i am not proud of that, in fact i very ashamed of my irresponisibility. however, i have changed my major to english rt now and want to finish in a year and half...so what do you guys suggest? should i finish my ug and then simultaneously take mba and the 8 courses required for med school and prep for mcats....then apply or forget about it altogether?

Ok, it's time to be honest here. And I'm not talking about to us the SDN community, but to yourself. The impression you give off in your post is one of apathy. The question you should be asking yourself is, "Do I want to go to med school?" and if the answer's "yes!" then you have enormous hurdles to get through right now.

If by any chance, you realize you don't want to go to med school and/or this path isn't right for you, then don't do it. What's the point of going to school for 4 more years, a residency, and then FINALLY figure out, this isn't what you want out of your own life.

However, if you decide, this is something you're willing to pursue, maybe this latter half of the post will help you out.

First off, your highschool GPA does NOT matter! Noone cares, it's completely irrelevant. Some people do horrible in highschool and pick it up their college years. Some do the opposite. You, unfortunately, are the latter. A 2.6 QPA won't get you far in this profession. I'm also assuming your science GPA is just as low or even lower. If you have any chance of gaining acceptance to med school, you have to do something about that.

Retaking classes is a start. However, if you are retaking classes, try your hardest to do well in them the second time around. What's the point of retaking them if you're just going to constantly fail out of them?

As for changing your major to english, I'm not sure how any ADCOM might see that. Personally, I think it shows your lack of commitment and dedication to the goals in which you wanted. I think it also shows that you couldn't handle the courseload and work given to you in the science classes. And I can almost guarantee you that ADCOM's will have the same thoughts upon looking at your file. So what do you do?

1) Sticking with English as your major is your choice and yours alone.
2) If you do decide to stick this out and pursue med school, then I'd highly recommend a post-bacc or SMP.
3) Make sure you're ready for the MCATs when the time comes. I would try to score as high as possible.
4) You goofed off for 2 years, ok. It's time to make up for that and really start hitting the books and trying to remedy all your bad choices.
5) Repeat Classes! Most times, the minimum is a C to pass for med schools.

Hope this helps you out even just a little. Best of Luck! :luck:

If you came on here to have someone tell you "yes or no", "apply or not", I'm sorry I can't do that. Those are personal decisions you have to make based on what you want out of your own life. After much thought, if you decide you want to become a doctor, then I say, "yes apply".

Members don't see this ad.