Quoted: 3rd Year Advice

Charles Darnay

SDN Mentor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year DO student. Although I passed COMLEX, I did not receive the score I was expecting and ended up below average (in the 20th percentile, if my calculations are correct). Since they do not allow you to re-take the COMLEX just to improve your score, I was wondering if I should take the USMLE now. I hadn't planned to take it since I was told it was unnecessary considering the specialties I was interested in (PMR and Peds). However, with such a low COMLEX, I am starting to think I need to take and at least do average on the USMLE. Since I am in rotations already, the only time I could really take it would be in the Spring. Considering my situation, how would you proceed in order to be competitive for residencies? Thank you very much. (Other info - 3rd quartile in class)

I wouldn't advise taking the USMLE just to be competitive. You score below average on COMLEX and don't have a good class rank ... to do well on USMLE (especially Step 1) would require a lot of time and dedication ... which would be difficult while you are on your clinical rotations. A consequence of studying for USMLE is poorer performances during your clinical rotation (and a negative impact on how attendings view you). Your grades on clinical rotation are also important to program directors, along with comments from your evaluations.
And there is always the possibility that you score below average on USMLE (or fail even it).

My advice would be to focus on your rotations, to do well, to impress attendings and residents, to be a good team player, a good physician-in-learning, and a good person. Show them that you are more than what is on paper. These qualities will impress attendings and hopefully program directors.

However, if you are interested in Peds/PM&R combined program, there are none in the osteopathic world and only 5 programs in the ACGME world (University of Colorado, Jefferson/DuPont, University of Buffalo, University of Cincinnati, and VCU). I would contact each program and ask if they require USMLE.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.