Medical Next steps to take as potential 3rd time Texas reapplicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently found out that I have been waitlisted at the only two Texas MD schools I interviewed at, which are both known for automatically adding people who did not match onto the waitlist. This has been disheartening since this 2020-2021 cycle has been my second time applying, but I have decided to keep a realistic mindset and plan for a third cycle. My question is that I am not sure how to improve my application within a span of 2-3 months before TMDSAS applications reopen. While I am aware that it would be more beneficial take an extra 1-2 years to do a masters program or perhaps AmeriCorps/Teach for America, unfortunately my parents have told me that they are only willing to support me for one more year of trying to apply into medical school, before they want me to switch to a different career path. As an ORM female, it is hard for me to go against my culture and dishonor my parents' wishes. These are my current thoughts and I was wondering if there were better suggestions? I have also included my stats and info below for context.

1) Retake the MCAT. This would be my fourth retake. My previous results are 499 in June 2019, 506 in August 2019, 510 in June 2020. I am confident that I should be able to improve my score in 2-3 months, but this would mean stopping my current job as a medical scribe, where I have been working for 1.5 years, at least until after I take the MCAT.

2) Address my prior potential red flag (lack of LOR from research PI at a lab I worked at for 3+ years with senior thesis and submitted pub under review) by applying to work as a research assistant/ clinical research coordinator under another PI.

3) Increase my non-clinical and clinical volunteer hours. I am been volunteering at my religious institution by teaching children, but otherwise have not had any recent clinical or nonclinical volunteering after graduating my undergrad in 2019.

3.7 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA
MCAT: 499, 506, 510
State: TX
Undergraduate institution: Ivy
Gap years: 2
Clinical experience: medical scribe and translator (1300+ hrs), hospice volunteer and hypertension community outreach (160 hrs), shadowing (180 hrs)
Research experience: 1500+ hrs in basic science lab with honors thesis, publication submitted for review
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hrs (tutoring in math and writing with highschool students and federal prison, teaching children at religious institution)
Other ECs: President of undergraduate medical journal, published in undergraduate literary journal, working with other recent graduates on memorial for COVID
To me this is very simple: you need more volunteering hours, specifically with the less fortunate. Tutoring people at your church does not cut it. As @Goro says you need to get out of your comfort zone. Do that, and add a bunch of non texas DO schools. If you look outside texas and are willing to consider DO I think you should find success.

this is very hard to do in 2-3 months. As you said, spending a year to really prepare your strongest application would give you a better chance. I worry that you won’t be able to get a meaningful number of hours in before apps open.

absolutely do not take MCAT a 4th time.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your advice! I should be able to volunteer at local vaccination sites and food banks. Just to clarify, I was wondering why it would be a bad idea to take the MCAT a 4th time? Unfortunately my stats seems to be slightly below average under my category as an ORM and I have a feeling my MCAT score was a limiting factor. Would the risk of having a fourth retake outweigh the chance of having a higher score?
Everyone plans to score better, but not everyone does. The bottom line is that time spent studying =/= higher score. The reasons for this are numerous, but include inherent ability (at a certain point you are maximizing your personal score on this test) and plain dumb luck (ie you may just get a bad test for you that hits all your blind spots). You have actually improved your score twice, which is great—at a certain point I worry your score would regress to the mean of your overall performance.

And finally, let’s even imagine that you DO improve. Is a 512 on your 4th attempt really appreciably better than a 510 on your 3rd? Probably not. So unless you are really vaulting up to a 515+ range, I really think your time could be better spent shoring up other parts of your app. As is, if you apply somewhat broadly, your stats are good enough.

Make sure wherever you volunteer that you are working with the less fortunate. If you’re vaccinating a bunch of rich people that’s probably not what you need to be doing.

Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT do a master's program. The grades will not help you at all. Your problem is your non-clinical hours as non are with the less fortunate. You need to be out in your community in food banks, etc.

How many schools did you apply to? I assume you didn't apply DO?

I'm going to suggest to call in your parents' challenge. It is better for you in the end to show your own resilience and grit. Be grateful for their emotional support, but don't be afraid to be on your own. Get real champions who can encourage you and seek advice from the admissions staff and current students to see if you can find someone on a similar journey. Just don't invite them to any second look weekends if they don't want to give you any help once you get accepted.

Don't retake. Apply DO. Stay focused.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll be looking to add more non-clinical volunteering options. While I did volunteer at my church, my focus was primarily on teaching special needs kids which had a personal connection since my main draw into medicine was related to caring for a family member with special needs. Although it is volunteering at my religious institution, would it still count as volunteering with the less fortunate? Or should I look into something more outside my comfort zone?
You need something more outside your comfort zone.

Forgot to mention I applied to all Texas schools on TMDSAS + Baylor and TCU, Oklahoma, Alabama, Tulane, Emory, Tufts, Georgetown, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Albany.
That’s still not a ton of schools with your MCAT track record. You need to apply to more schools and add DO schools to the mix to have a better chance at being accepted somewhere.

I would say no. Although that’s an awesome experience helping people with special needs and will look good on your app, you need to be out of your comfort zone. Get out of school, out of your church, out of your safety zone and help some people who really need it.

Thank you all for your advice. I’ll be spending my time volunteering out in the community and helping with COVID relief. In addition to these schools below, are there any other MD or DO schools that I should add to my list that would better fit my MCAT track record?

TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
ACOM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
DO schools on this list are pretty good. AZCOM is SUPER expensive if you care about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.