Quick question regarding ACGME residency requirements for prelim internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftfoot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding the ACGME requirements for internship before starting a rad onc residency. Does anyone know if it's required to do an ICU month prior to the beginning of the PGY2 year? As it stands right now, I am not scheduled to do an ICU month at my prelim program. I know that some specialties require a certain number of ICU months during residency (ie. anesthesia), but I wasn't sure if this was the case for rad onc.

Members don't see this ad.

No need for an ICU month. The internship requirement for rad onc is pretty broad (while most do prelim medicine or transitional year, prelim surgery, family med, OB/GYN, or even peds internships would be acceptable).

Requirements are available at acgme.org. Here is the relevant paragraph:

Int.B.1. Resident education in radiation oncology must include five years of accredited, clinically-oriented graduate medical education. The first year of postgraduate clinical training must be spent in internal medicine, family medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, surgery or surgical specialties, pediatrics, or a transitionalyear program. This PGY-1 year must include at least nine months of direct patient care in medical and/or surgical specialties other than radiation oncology. This clinical experience must then be followed by four years focused in radiation oncology.​