question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esth0001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard wold it be to get into neurosurgery as an IMG's? I do not want to hear that it is impossible because this year 15 IMG's got in :) basically one out of every four application, 25 %. Is this true that not many people these days want to be neurosurgeons? because in every US med school that I check their match results, I see between 0 to 2 that went to neurosurgery. This year couple people from some of the worst carb med schools got into ACGME neurosurgery residency. I talked to one of them , and she even did not have any research exp during the med school or perfect board scores, she was not even an US citizen !! what the hell is going on with the residency program directors? last year I think 2 people from AUC one of the worst carb med schools got in.

so, If I go to a carb med school, and do very well on the boards and do some kind of research with a very big name in neurosurgery (a friend of mine is a president of a neurosurgery research foundation), It should not be so hard to get into neurosurgery, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Not 100 % sure, but aren't ''below average'' applicants usually in ''below average'' programs ? Then again, we're talking neurosurgery here, and I'm pretty confident every program trains competent neurosurgeons. Now it all depends on you and your goals. What's more important to you : Academic neurosurgery and research ? Good location ? Good private practice opportunities ? Operating like a madman since PGY2 or waiting until PGY5-6 to actually hold a scalpel (you get the point) ?

I don't think neurosurgery is that hard to enter, really. I'm currently doing research in NS and I've got the opportunity to talk with residents and attendings, and that's pretty much the feeling I get from them. Excellent work ethics, determination and dedication to the field (research for example) can make up for average grades. Take my words with a grain of salt though, I don't know much about NS yet.

Good luck.

I am an IMG too. There is this issue that has been bothering me. My Human Anatomy 1 and 2 grades are nothing to write home about. In anato 1...i scored 64% whiles in anatomy 2..i scored 51% with the past mark being 50%. I was wondering if this could affect me shd i apply for a Neurosurgery Residency or any other surgical residency. It aint really my fault...i guess it bothered down to having to learn so many new names in a foreign language. I did excellently in other subjects.

Does the Basic Sciences Grades matter a lot?? My course is 6 years and i am not satisfied with my first year grades. I am wondering if this could be a problem for me.

Which Step 1 score will make an IMG a competitive candidate??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
ROBINHO said:
I am an IMG too. There is this issue that has been bothering me. My Human Anatomy 1 and 2 grades are nothing to write home about. In anato 1...i scored 64% whiles in anatomy 2..i scored 51% with the past mark being 50%. I was wondering if this could affect me shd i apply for a Neurosurgery Residency or any other surgical residency. It aint really my fault...i guess it bothered down to having to learn so many new names in a foreign language. I did excellently in other subjects.

Does the Basic Sciences Grades matter a lot?? My course is 6 years and i am not satisfied with my first year grades. I am wondering if this could be a problem for me.

Which Step 1 score will make an IMG a competitive candidate??

Thanks

Your Basic Science grades are not so important. but USMLE step I is extremely important. you have to have at least 230, but shoot for 240 or 250. with 240 on the step I, you will get some interviews as an IMG. generaly speaking for neurosurgery your USMLE step I is the most important thing.

@esth0001...thanks very much. This is the sort of response that i have always wanted. Somebody who could be specific and tell me that as an IMG i have a chance only with a STep 1 in >230 region.

OK...anothe question. I sent e-mails to some programs and I noted that they were emphatic about the need for publications in 'high-quality peer-reviewed journals'. What is that supposed to mean?? Which journals do u rate as high quality???

What is the definition of publication?? Does it refer to only publication of research works or it also embraces Case reports??

There was also mention of the need to set up externship. Shd that take place in only programmes in which i am interested or just any acessible American Medical School.

DO u have an idea of which Neurosurgery Programmes are IMG friendly??

ROBINHO said:
@esth0001...thanks very much. This is the sort of response that i have always wanted. Somebody who could be specific and tell me that as an IMG i have a chance only with a STep 1 in >230 region.

OK...anothe question. I sent e-mails to some programs and I noted that they were emphatic about the need for publications in 'high-quality peer-reviewed journals'. What is that supposed to mean?? Which journals do u rate as high quality???

What is the definition of publication?? Does it refer to only publication of research works or it also embraces Case reports??

There was also mention of the need to set up externship. Shd that take place in only programmes in which i am interested or just any acessible American Medical School.

DO u have an idea of which Neurosurgery Programmes are IMG friendly??

I think my first question is, Are you US citizen or not? let me know then I can help you further.

esth0001 said:
I think my first question is, Are you US citizen or not? let me know then I can help you further.

Does it really matter?? I thought non Us and Us citizens who studied outside the US were equally referred to as IMGs.

Btw...which step 2 score will u consider as realistic??

ROBINHO said:
Does it really matter?? I thought non Us and Us citizens who studied outside the US were equally referred to as IMGs.

Btw...which step 2 score will u consider as realistic??

Well, Yes, If you are not US citizen, it will be 100 X harder to get in to any residency especially neurosurgery. you have to have a special visa in order to let you do the residency and it is really hard to get those type of visas. try to do perferct on the step 2, but your step 1 is more important and you have to have at least 230 or above, in order to consider you for interview. However, I know this year a Canadian Citizen from Saba University in Carb got into Neurosurery at Buffalo University, so It is possible but very hard. she had very high board scores, REALLY HIGH. and she completed all the clinical rotations in the US. Where are you from?