Not your typical neurosurgery lifestyle question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermed2424

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, current 3rd year who was previously set on neurosurgery debating my options and have a somewhat unorthodox question that I don't believe has been answered yet. In short, have good stats and the research to (I believe) match, but I'm a little concerned about whether or not my current and ideal lifestyle are a good match for neurosurgery. I'm big into backcountry skiing, mountain biking, and other hobbies that would be considered risky but that I enjoy a lot and would like to continue pursuing into my adult life. I'm concerned that it would be difficult to continue these as an attending or resident, as I would be greatly concerned about an injury keeping me from operating and thus harming the practice. What would happen if I broke an arm as a resident or attending? Is it selfish to continue these hobbies as a surgery resident/ attending? Luckily I have not been injured to date, but I think it would be silly to think that it might not one day happen.

I guess I'm just interested to see if anyone has any personal experience with continuing hobbies like these as an attending, or if you've seen attendings give these up in order to preserve their health so that their partners don't suffer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These all are very common hobbies among neurosurgeons. While not quite to the reputation of the orthopedic surgery, there is some self-selection for athletes in neurosurgery residency programs. Some of this might be fueled by the annual competitions in softball and volleyball between programs that are quite competitive. Everyone has has disability insurance, however there have rarely have been tragic deaths of neurosurgeons while skiing.

Reactions: 1 user
A certain percentage of neurosurgeons are the kind of people who just take everything in their lives to the most extreme possible end (which is why they end up in neurosurgery). So outside of work they also go cliff diving and heli-skiing and buy extremely fast and impractical cars.

Then again I heard through the grapevine that one very prominent neurosurgeon recently broke his hand participating in a decidedly non-extreme leisure activity, so nothing's guaranteed. Every surgeon is always one car accident away from losing his/her livelihood, but we still drive.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
It seems to me, most NSG attending either give up their hobby A) due to fear (Ie doesn't want to get burr holes placed hence they stop racing motorcycles) or B) don't give it up cause they love it and would rather be injured and just have good disability insurance instead.

Check out this link about doctors of different specialties who engage -- and don't engage -- in certain "risky" behavior. its quire interesting even though its slightly off topic!

Hey,
It seems to me, most NSG attending either give up their hobby A) due to fear (Ie doesn't want to get burr holes placed hence they stop racing motorcycles) or B) don't give it up cause they love it and would rather be injured and just have good disability insurance instead.

Check out this link about doctors of different specialties who engage -- and don't engage -- in certain "risky" behavior. its quire interesting even though its slightly off topic!

This was a great read, thank you. Still trying to figure things out. So many possible decisions In life...

Hey all, current 3rd year who was previously set on neurosurgery debating my options and have a somewhat unorthodox question that I don't believe has been answered yet. In short, have good stats and the research to (I believe) match, but I'm a little concerned about whether or not my current and ideal lifestyle are a good match for neurosurgery. I'm big into backcountry skiing, mountain biking, and other hobbies that would be considered risky but that I enjoy a lot and would like to continue pursuing into my adult life. I'm concerned that it would be difficult to continue these as an attending or resident, as I would be greatly concerned about an injury keeping me from operating and thus harming the practice. What would happen if I broke an arm as a resident or attending? Is it selfish to continue these hobbies as a surgery resident/ attending? Luckily I have not been injured to date, but I think it would be silly to think that it might not one day happen.

I guess I'm just interested to see if anyone has any personal experience with continuing hobbies like these as an attending, or if you've seen attendings give these up in order to preserve their health so that their partners don't suffer.
As a resident, you would not have time to pursue these opportunities except during research/elective years.

As an attending, you should be fine.