Question for those in 6 yr OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamlc18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether most of you guys took out more student loans to pay med school tuition and pay for living expenses or if you are able to make enough moonlighting during med school to live and pay tuition? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

adamlc18 said:
I was just wondering whether most of you guys took out more student loans to pay med school tuition and pay for living expenses or if you are able to make enough moonlighting during med school to live and pay tuition? Thanks.

I just got my license a few days ago, so I am not sure if I can make enough money on the side just yet. However, a few other senior guys in my program make enough on the side to support their family. One recent graduate made so much moonlighting that he was able to buy cars, motorcycles, and all these other fancy toys.

Doggie said:
I just got my license a few days ago, so I am not sure if I can make enough money on the side just yet. However, a few other senior guys in my program make enough on the side to support their family. One recent graduate made so much moonlighting that he was able to buy cars, motorcycles, and all these other fancy toys.

What is moonlighting? (Sorry to ask, but I am new, and I am on track to dental and thinking about OS) or should I rephrase it,, what type of moonlighting would someone do when in med shcool to make enough money?

Members don't see this ad :)
headsup said:
What is moonlighting? (Sorry to ask, but I am new, and I am on track to dental and thinking about OS) or should I rephrase it,, what type of moonlighting would someone do when in med shcool to make enough money?

Moonlighting is working while in residency. You could work at a clinic doing exodontia.

drhobie7 said:
Moonlighting is working while in residency. You could work at a clinic doing exodontia.
We can't moonlight here. Our program director would flip. During med school, unless you have a sugar-mama, most guys take out loans again...

I assume if you would want to moonlight, then you need to do it after school, now I am wondering how much money would one be able to make, and at the same time study for med classes?

Doggie said:
...One recent graduate made so much moonlighting that he was able to buy cars, motorcycles, and all these other fancy toys.
...and gas to drive to the State Board in Austin to explain that little mishap resulting in a hospital admission... :laugh:

headsup said:
I assume if you would want to moonlight, then you need to do it after school, now I am wondering how much money would one be able to make, and at the same time study for med classes?
Study?!?!? Ha HA HA Ha HA Ha......

toofache32 said:

what? you dont need to study while in med school? that'll be cool...

So, is it a bad idea to ask about moonlighting policy while visiting a school or interviewing? I heard this was something to be kept on the DL.

Definately don't ask the faculty. But it's probably OK to ask the residents, since their perspective is what matters anyway.

toofache32 said:

Crap! They changed my curriculum such that we have tests pretty much every 2-3 weeks.

:eek:

Doggie said:
Crap! They changed my curriculum such that we have tests pretty much every 2-3 weeks.

:eek:
Sucker....should've gone to Columbia.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're all suckers. Should've gone somewhere that doesn't require the second year of med school.

I wholeheartedly agree. Last year before taking step 1 i was thinking maybe i should have done 2nd year of med. school.

Holy Sh1t that would have been a waste of my life. Glad i skipped it and never have to take a "chapter" type test again in my life.

How many programs allow you to moonlight? Or is that kind of tough to figure out because it is more of a hush hush sort of thing?
Also, are you able to moonlight b/c you have a DDS/DMD or is it because you are in an MD program?(do 4 year programs allow you to do it as well?)

From what I gather, you may not have time during the whole four year program and for six year programs, you could probably only do it during the medical school years.

Please enlighten me. Thanks for the help.

openwyd22 said:
How many programs allow you to moonlight? Or is that kind of tough to figure out because it is more of a hush hush sort of thing?
Also, are you able to moonlight b/c you have a DDS/DMD or is it because you are in an MD program?(do 4 year programs allow you to do it as well?)

From what I gather, you may not have time during the whole four year program and for six year programs, you could probably only do it during the medical school years.

Please enlighten me. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you answered your own questions. Doesn't seem to be much time in a 4 year program. During a 6 year program, medical school is the only free time to potentially moonlight. Also, I don't know any programs that openly allow or encourage moonlighting. It is a hush hush thing if you choose to do it.

OMFSdoc said:
Sounds like you answered your own questions. Doesn't seem to be much time in a 4 year program. During a 6 year program, medical school is the only free time to potentially moonlight. Also, I don't know any programs that openly allow or encourage moonlighting. It is a hush hush thing if you choose to do it.

Thanks for the reply.

toofache32 said:

I'd rather pack cord and amalgam than take 2nd year of med school. That is where I'd draw the line. Clinical rotations/clerkships are bad enough, but the 40 hours/week didactic crap.... kill me now. I feel bad for the med students during clerkships because they are lucky if they get to do anything more than running for xrays and prepping patients and putting in foleys. I couldn't imagine hours of power point lectures talking about kidney pathology and then tests. After dental school, I had zero tolerance for learning about the body via a book, note coop, and notes. Time to learn en vivo....

esclavo said:
... Clinical rotations/clerkships are bad enough, but the 40 hours/week didactic crap.....
I think you mean 20 hours/week. Just my experience. Still unncessary though.

toofache32 said:
I think you mean 20 hours/week. Just my experience. Still unncessary though.

My mistake, I was thinking about 2nd year of dental school. I forgot that med school isn't that intense during the 2nd year....

esclavo said:
My mistake, I was thinking about 2nd year of dental school. I forgot that med school isn't that intense during the 2nd year....
Don't worry....common misunderstanding.

toofache32 said:
Don't worry....common misunderstanding.

How is it wearing the short coat for a few years?

esclavo said:
How is it wearing the short coat for a few years?
I actually went out and bought a coat just like the other med students so I would blend in. The residents that know you're OMFS tend to expect more out of you and will try to get you to do things like sign your own orders. It's nice to just fly under the radar. But I still got abused on my surgery rotation...they gave me every face lac that came through the door.