Purdue (IS) vs. Penn (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axolotly

Purdue c/o 2028
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Crazy to be posting this but I am trying to decide between Purdue and Penn to spend my next four at. For some context I'm originally from Indiana but went to undergrad in LA, graduated in 2022, and have stayed here since then, so I haven't lived in Indiana for almost 6 years now; most of my family is still based within the Midwest. I never ended up changing my residency to California so I am still in-state at Purdue. I am fortunate enough to be able to make this choice without cost being my main determining factor, but I still feel a little bit stupid for not immediately wanting to choose the cheaper school. I was also fortunate enough to receive a $60k scholarship offer from Penn, so the cost of attendance is a bit lower than it would be otherwise. I've been able to visit both schools (Purdue for my interview and Penn on my own) but I'm still feeling torn about it. After visiting I have a gut feeling that I would choose Penn from an academic standpoint, but I can't seem to resolve it in my head either way. Also I'm currently thinking small animal specialty/emergency is where I see myself in the future.
Any insight into either program is so appreciated, here's what I have going so far:

PURDUE
Pros:
  • IS tuition
  • Closer to family
  • I'm interested in their study abroad program, it seemed really positively talked about at my interview day
  • I like the idea of having veterinary nursing students in the school too
  • New small animal hospital
  • Smaller class size
Cons:
  • Less time in the clinics compared to Penn
  • Not a systems/block-based curriculum, I think Penn's curriculum matches up more with my learning style
  • More suburban/rural area of living (since being in LA I have found that I really value the culture and vibrancy of living in a city)
  • I'm not super interested in food medicine/large animal/equine
  • I don't know any current students there personally
  • I guess Purdue requires the use of a specific computer for curriculum? I'm a very visual person and like writing directly on my iPad to learn, not sure how well I would do having to buy a new computer and use that for my materials
  • Have also heard that they have a class dress code / require students to wear specific PVM scrubs? This is a less important/kind of petty one but I already have a full collection of scrubs from working as a vet assistant and I don't really want to shell out an extra $500 to get new scrubs

PENN
Pros:
  • High caseload at teaching hospital, big variety from being in the city
  • More time in clinicals than Purdue
  • Has connections with Penn's med school, could mean more research opportunities
  • Blocked/systems-based curriculum so every few weeks you're learning within the context of body systems
  • I know a few current first year students, could be really nice to have people I know who have been through what I would be doing
  • More diversity / culture in the larger city being in Philly than a more rural area
  • Could use my own materials and scrubs
Cons:
  • OOS tuition
  • Farther from family
  • Larger class size
  • Would have to commute ~1 hour to New Bolton Center for large animal / equine stuff

Trying to reason through this by myself and with my parents has gotten me basically nowhere, so I'm really just looking for some third party advice to tell me whether or not I'm being stupid for feeling like I'm leaning towards Penn when I could be IS at Purdue lol. Anything is greatly appreciated, thanks yall <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Even factoring in a 60k Penn scholarship, Penn is DOUBLE the cost of Purdue (340k vs 160k). None of those pros and cons are worth paying 160,000 more at Penn. You’ll have the same degree in the end and truly, where you go doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things after graduation. I realize you said that cost is not a major determining factor for you, but think of all the things you can do (or if you’re getting familial assistance, they could do) with $160,000. And that’s before considering interest. I hear what you’re saying about city living and amenities, but vet school is a short four years of your entire life. It’ll be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add that the computer thing may be for specific programs associated with Purdue's software for exams or the teaching hospital. So it's definitely possible you'll be able to use your own computer for daily stuff.

I absolutely cannot image you'll need to spend $500 in scrubs over the course of 4 years for their specific scrubs. I haven't even spent that amount of money on scrubs over the last few years as an adult. $200ish? Sure. But the $200 that you'll spend can then be recouped when you turn around and sell them to underclassmen when you're getting ready to graduate. Thinking of that, you're likely to be able to purchase yours used from upper classmen. Just because the school says you'll spend $x on specific items doesn't mean you actually will.

Both schools likely have study abroad programs and connections to research centers outside of the vet school, including med schools. How well their advertising those opportunities honestly depends on how well those faculty members coordinate with admissions folks.

Preface: before I say anything as a Purdue student, I am begging you as a person who enjoys being able to afford housing and food to go to your instate.
1712769180729.png

1712769201924.png

The difference here could not get any more drastic. No difference between vet schools is worth anywhere near $280000 (!!!!!!!!!)

PURDUE
Pros:
  • IS tuition
  • Closer to family
  • I'm interested in their study abroad program, it seemed really positively talked about at my interview day
  • Smaller class size
Cons:
  • Not a systems/block-based curriculum, I think Penn's curriculum matches up more with my learning style
  • More suburban/rural area of living (since being in LA I have found that I really value the culture and vibrancy of living in a city)
  • I guess Purdue requires the use of a specific computer for curriculum? I'm a very visual person and like writing directly on my iPad to learn, not sure how well I would do having to buy a new computer and use that for my materials
  • Have also heard that they have a class dress code / require students to wear specific PVM scrubs? This is a less important/kind of petty one but I already have a full collection of scrubs from working as a vet assistant and I don't really want to shell out an extra $500 to get new scrubs
Having to buy scrubs and a laptop is annoying but the laptop's around $2000 (including full 4-5 year warranty and super easy-to-access tech support in school due to everyone having the same model) and the cost of the scrubs (if it is $500, I'm the last class that escaped the dress code so idk what they're making you pay) is 0.17% of the difference in your COA between Purdue and Penn, the scrubs and the laptop together around 1%. You can use the laptop in tablet mode with a stylus.

We try to connect with the vet nursing students in events but it is difficult as they're generally younger and aren't interested in and/or are shy of hanging out with DVM students. Over the last few years Dr. Brown (our director of the Vet Nursing program - he's awesome!) has been working on trying ways of getting more crossover between DVM and VN students but currently there's very little contact aside from seeing each other in the halls, and a couple vet nursing students having student jobs in junior surgery.

If you're in LA maybe Lafayette really does feel suburban to you but I wouldn't think of the area that way.

There is tracking fourth year so it should be easy for you to avoid large animal rotations. Of course you need to take large animal courses in didactics as a consequence of all-species licensure.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone!
Crazy to be posting this but I am trying to decide between Purdue and Penn to spend my next four at. For some context I'm originally from Indiana but went to undergrad in LA, graduated in 2022, and have stayed here since then, so I haven't lived in Indiana for almost 6 years now; most of my family is still based within the Midwest. I never ended up changing my residency to California so I am still in-state at Purdue. I am fortunate enough to be able to make this choice without cost being my main determining factor, but I still feel a little bit stupid for not immediately wanting to choose the cheaper school. I was also fortunate enough to receive a $60k scholarship offer from Penn, so the cost of attendance is a bit lower than it would be otherwise. I've been able to visit both schools (Purdue for my interview and Penn on my own) but I'm still feeling torn about it. After visiting I have a gut feeling that I would choose Penn from an academic standpoint, but I can't seem to resolve it in my head either way. Also I'm currently thinking small animal specialty/emergency is where I see myself in the future.
Any insight into either program is so appreciated, here's what I have going so far:

PURDUE
Pros:
  • IS tuition
  • Closer to family
  • Smaller class size
Cons:

PENN
Pros:
  • High caseload at teaching hospital, big variety from being in the city
  • More time in clinicals than Purdue
  • Has connections with Penn's med school, could mean more research opportunities
  • Blocked/systems-based curriculum so every few weeks you're learning within the context of body systems
  • I know a few current first year students, could be really nice to have people I know who have been through what I would be doing
  • More diversity / culture in the larger city being in Philly than a more rural area
  • Could use my own materials and scrubs
Cons:
  • OOS tuition
  • Farther from family
  • Larger class size
  • Would have to commute ~1 hour to New Bolton Center for large animal / equine stuff

Trying to reason through this by myself and with my parents has gotten me basically nowhere, so I'm really just looking for some third party advice to tell me whether or not I'm being stupid for feeling like I'm leaning towards Penn when I could be IS at Purdue lol. Anything is greatly appreciated, thanks yall <3

Yeah so unfortunately for you, you’re still going to have a lot of large animal stuff at penn even though classes are in the city. Disclaimer that I am a V’25 which is the last year of the old curriculum so I cannot give a whole lot of info on the new stuff, but they do come out to New Bolton pretty frequently, and I’m not how tracks/majors are at Purdue but even as a small animal major here your likely going to have to spend at least 9 weeks in clinics out there, and NBC has historically had the highest academic case load in the country for large animal.
Also from my understanding research with the med school is uncommon. Most if not all research is with the graduate colleges.
Also, do not underestimate how important being close to your support system is. Genuinely if the cost of penn was the same or a bit cheaper than Purdue I’d still say go to Purdue. Vet school puts you through the wringer, you can’t predict what major life events might happen. I went far away for undergrad and needed little support from home, and honestly coming back to the mid-Atlantic and having my family close to penn is a major reason I haven’t crashed and burned.
Also a warning, the vet school has still not received its state funding of 33 million for 2024 due to the previous University President’s remarks at congress. TBD if we will continue to have funding going forward/if they give us less so there is a risk for tuition to increase even more.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the insight everybody, it has genuinely really helped me see things a little bit more clearly. I will be accepting my in state seat at Purdue!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the insight everybody, it has genuinely really helped me see things a little bit more clearly. I will be accepting my in state seat at Purdue!
Best of luck!! And if you get to clinics and still want to scratch the itch of penn’s emergency services department, or honestly any service at any school, you can always apply to extern for a rotation!

Reactions: 2 users
Purdue student here, welcome to the club! looking forward to seeing you next year!

Reactions: 1 user