Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please help with ranking the following programs (in alphabetical order)

georgetown
loyola
medical college of wisconsin
minnesota
the ohio state
saint louis university
stanford
university of illinois chicago
university of north carolina
washington university in st louis

interested in academics in future with some research

thanks!
WashU and Stanford if you like research..UNC is great too. UIC has the best program director.Dr Schrauf is one of the best in the scene

Members don't see this ad.

Have to disagree with gutonc a little. MUSC has a nice little pulm/cc program with a research pathway built in. If is looks like the kind of place you'll like, will grow, and has people doing the research you're interested in, MUSC isn't a bad choice as long as you have the ducks you want lined up.
MUSC is a decent program. It is very clinical. South Carolina is a great place to live personally if you ask me. Whether over Duke? Duke is a ton of research..i mean it. They expect a lot of research. It is a good program though. So it is your pick! Personally..I would do MUSC though..Not the research nerd

georgetown
loyola
medical college of wisconsin
minnesota
the ohio state
saint louis university
stanford
university of illinois chicago
university of north carolina
washington university in st louis

interested in academics in future with some research

thanks!

Stanford = WashU
UNC = Minnesota
Ohio
UIC = MCW = Loyola = SLU = Georgetown

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure everyones doing the last minute rounds.. Pls help me ASAP..Rank list order..my programs are

Yale
Stony brook
Brown
Albany
Cleveland Clinic
Stanford
UCLA
Baylor
UT Houston
UAB

Looking for a strong clinical program overall, name and opportunities for research. Heard great things about CCF always but not sure about some of the other

I never know what to do with CCF either . . . lots of transplants, busy ICU, research if you want it . . .

Stanford = UCLA
UAB
Baylor = Yale
CCF
UT Houston
Brown
Albany
Stony Brook

MUSC is a decent program. It is very clinical. South Carolina is a great place to live personally if you ask me. Whether over Duke? Duke is a ton of research..i mean it. They expect a lot of research. It is a good program though. So it is your pick! Personally..I would do MUSC though..Not the research nerd

They have a research track, unless something has changed. So if you've had a mentor in mind there, it could bet the kind of place that would work out very well for someone.

On the other hand, if you're more up in the air, Duke is the better choice for many reasons as it would give you the chance to decide more on the fly. Whatever you could possibly want to do with yourself, Duke could figure out a way to set up your career..

I never know what to do with CCF either . . . lots of transplants, busy ICU, research if you want it . . .

Stanford = UCLA
UAB
Baylor = Yale
CCF
UT Houston
Brown
Albany
Stony Brook
Interesting you mention it.. " I never know what to do with CCF either . . . lots of transplants, busy ICU, research if you want it . . " Could you explain it? I did not like Baylor actually..fellows seemed unhappy. I was thinking CCF at top followed by Stanford, UCLA, UT, UAB and finally new york programs.. Any thoughts?

Don't do that...that's incredibly douche-y behavior. We don't know you (and since you're a 1-post wonder, we can't glean anything from your history here).

How did you like them? If you hadn't found SDN on a frantic Google-thon this afternoon, how would you rank them?

Think of it like this. Imagine you're the senior resident overnight in the MICU and your intern presents a new patient to you and the entire presentation is "he's sick...what do you want to do?". That's what we're dealing with here.

Interesting you mention it.. " I never know what to do with CCF either . . . lots of transplants, busy ICU, research if you want it . . " Could you explain it? I did not like Baylor actually..fellows seemed unhappy. I was thinking CCF at top followed by Stanford, UCLA, UT, UAB and finally new york programs.. Any thoughts?

CCF isn't really an academic program in the traditional sense of it. The CC is a money making machine, and they do manage to snag some decent talent and get some research done in-spite of this. They have good name recognition with the lay person. They have the reputation that they - the people running the place - are there for the CC first everything else come second, and if you happen to get a deec education out of doing their staff's h&p's and consults, then bonus for you and I suppose them. They have really sick patients in their ICUs which is kind of a good thing as long as it's not overwhelming. I just don't take them that seriously. Maybe it's because I'm an ivory tower snob (I'm not), but I just don't think it all adds up to some kind of great career builder on the aggregate. If you're planning on going out into the community to practice, which is fine, that's where MOST docs go and the community needs good docs, then CCF would be fine at the top of your list. If you're at all serious about doing REAL research, making a career out of that, then it's not a place at the top of your list.

Rank the programs the way you want to rank them. It's your fellowship and your career. You know your goals. Going with your gut has almost never done anyone wrong.

CCF isn't really an academic program in the traditional sense of it. The CC is a money making machine, and they do manage to snag some decent talent and get some research done in-spite of this. They have good name recognition with the lay person. They have the reputation that they - the people running the place - are there for the CC first everything else come second, and if you happen to get a deec education out of doing their staff's h&p's and consults, then bonus for you and I suppose them. They have really sick patients in their ICUs which is kind of a good thing as long as it's not overwhelming. I just don't take them that seriously. Maybe it's because I'm an ivory tower snob (I'm not), but I just don't think it all adds up to some kind of great career builder on the aggregate. If you're planning on going out into the community to practice, which is fine, that's where MOST docs go and the community needs good docs, then CCF would be fine at the top of your list. If you're at all serious about doing REAL research, making a career out of that, then it's not a place at the top of your list.

Rank the programs the way you want to rank them. It's your fellowship and your career. You know your goals. Going with your gut has almost never done anyone wrong.
Thanks a lot ma friend! Looks like you are leaning more towards research oriented programs correct? Stanford was pretty research oriented too and I could not get anything out of my Brown interview! All the people seemed nice but not sure how good the training was!

WashU and Stanford if you like research..UNC is great too. UIC has the best program director.Dr Schrauf is one of the best in the scene
You're right, Schrauf is awesome. I loved how straight forward he is.
JDH, Moozy, and the other long term posters, thanks for the advice. All your posts from past years helped me choose where to apply and where to interview. You guys lead me to a good list.

Good luck everyone! Hope you match to your top choices!

Rush
Jefferson
Buffalo
Case western metrohealth
NS-LIJ in Long island

I'm looking to go into academic setting...hopefully..
Want good clinical training and somewhere I can do some research also.

Thanks a lot ma friend! Looks like you are leaning more towards research oriented programs correct? Stanford was pretty research oriented too and I could not get anything out of my Brown interview! All the people seemed nice but not sure how good the training was!

I'm generally putting programs together in order of academic reputation overall, and I'm considering what I know of the clinical training and any extra bonuses about the programs, but it's just one man's opinion, I can't know everything about all programs. Almost any program is going to give you what you need to go out into the community and practice. You need to ask yourself if you want more than that, meaning something more specialized or something requiring a mentor to help you along, or don't. There no real right or wrong here.

Members don't see this ad :)
No more "how good/ bad these programs are" questions.
ROL is a done deal for now.

Lets see if Dec 5th makes us happy (or not)!!

Also looks like CCF put on a good showing this year. I'll be interested to see how they trend over the next few years.

The program gets a lot more flak than what it actually is. They now offer 1.5 years (relatively) protected time wherein you can either pursue a research interest (their research strengths are sarcoid, lung cancer, pulmonary hypertension and asthma) or then develop a clinical niche by doing electives (interventional bronch, transplant, pulm hypertension). It appears to be a sweet deal, provided you are willing to deal with what has been highlighted in posts above.

The good news is that most of you will get your number 1 based on the stats.

I have never really understood how this works.....(or rather how the match works to get you this).

For IM residency, statistically most match at their top 3, which makes sense, because I imagine you are in a select tier of residents that tend to interview at the same quality of programs. Of course, there are enough people who dont match in their top 3...

Just curious, how can you then narrow it down to your rank 1 (or even 2) for fellowship, when there are even fewer spots per program?

The good news is that most of you will get your number 1 based on the stats.
Debatable - clearly.

There are SO MANY factors that play a role in the Match. It is over-simplistic to qualify it with a single statistic - which clearly varies A LOT depending on multiple factors.

Anyone have any experience with post match scramble for fellowship? Or is it a pipe dream to get into a program post match in Pulmonary medicine?

I dont have any information about it. Do we apply for unfilled positions same day of the match ( 12/05) or the following day like residency scramble. Do we use eras, I have waived my right to see LORS, don't have access to it so can't really fax or email letters, can any body clarify how that works?

I dont have any information about it. Do we apply for unfilled positions same day of the match ( 12/05) or the following day like residency scramble. Do we use eras, I have waived my right to see LORS, don't have access to it so can't really fax or email letters, can any body clarify how that works?

Are you already planning on not matching?:eek::eek:

How does the post match scramble work do we contact the unfilled programs directly or should we go thru the NRMP again.What kind of documents do they require when we apply for unfilled spots can anybody please please advice in this matter as by 12 noon on 12/5/12 we have to be ready in case we dont get matched.
Please throw some light in this issue guys and it will be a great help.Thank you

Needed info include your CAF, ? CV, personal statement, recommendation letters, photo and probably a letter of intent to program director regarding your interest in the scramble position. I would think you will contact programs directly by calling and emailing with all the docs. Hope this helps.

Needed info include your CAF, ? CV, personal statement, recommendation letters, photo and probably a letter of intent to program director regarding your interest in the scramble position. I would think you will contact programs directly by calling and emailing with all the docs. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot appreciate it

Hi everyone. Can anybody help with the list of unfilled pulmonary programs. It is silly, but I've missed the ranking deadline of Nov 14th because a death in my family(although had interviews), and now do not even have an access to the unfilled programs through NRMP. Would it be possible to post a list of unfilled programs here? Much appreciation.

Hi everyone. Can anybody help with the list of unfilled pulmonary programs. It is silly, but I've missed the ranking deadline of Nov 14th because a death in my family(although had interviews), and now do not even have an access to the unfilled programs through NRMP. Would it be possible to post a list of unfilled programs here? Much appreciation.

Posting this list will result in it being taken down and an infraction placed on the account of anybody who does so.

Posting this list will result in it being taken down and an infraction placed on the account of anybody who does so.

Can somebody atleast tell how many unfilled programs for PCCM.
Thanks

Thanks for all the support from this forum.I will be writing review soon.

Got my #1 rank. After 14 Invites & 7 IV's and thousands of dollars applying and traveling, it is finally over!

I spend all season doing my best to help out in here and I can only get three or four of you to tell me you matched??

Lame.

Congrats to everyone. And good luck.

I spend all season doing my best to help out in here and I can only get three or four of you to tell me you matched??

Lame.

Lots of people are still out celebrating! Anyway, I matched at a stellar program. Couldn't be happier. Will post reviews in the future.

Congrats to all.

Lame.

I matched. It was not one of my top programs and I am a little confused as to what I did wrong along the way, but at least I matched and am grateful for that.

I matched as well, to a solid program. It was not one of my top choices but just like sstoy, I am grateful to be able to train next year.

Lame.

You know we all appreciate your help more than words or texts can say!
And I did pm you btw( not kissing *****) lol
Thanks dude!

Lame.

I got matched in last program in my ROL little disappointed but end of the day relieved that I got something.Thanks for everyone out there who has constantly provided guidance and input. appreciate it guys. Thanks once again

Lame.

I had 6 interviews.

In the end, I ranked only two programs, and got my #1.

I'm very happy. Very. Happy.

Thank you all for your help.