Pulm/CCM fellowship post academic hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grgy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to an academic hospitalist job. So far I have 3 offeres: Yale new haven, Wash U, and Uni of Iowa. I have planning to join pulm/ccm in a couple of years. Anyone did the same or knows someone who did? I have some questions but wonder if anyone experienced in this is over here!?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to an academic hospitalist job. So far I have 3 offeres: Yale new haven, Wash U, and Uni of Iowa. I have planning to join pulm/ccm in a couple of years. Anyone did the same or knows someone who did? I have some questions but wonder if anyone experienced in this is over here!?

Hi, I started a position as an academic hospitalist during the month that I applied for fellowship in Pulm/CC. I matched at my top choice program. I stayed at my host institution, to become a hospitalist but I have a friend who took a job at a different hospital and matched at his top choice in Pulm/CC as well. I found that a lot of programs that I interviewed with liked that I had experience making decisions on my own, and taking care of sick patients on my own at a tertiary referral center. No one had anything negative to say about working as a hospitalist for a year between residency and fellowship.

Hi, I started a position as an academic hospitalist during the month that I applied for fellowship in Pulm/CC. I matched at my top choice program. I stayed at my host institution, to become a hospitalist but I have a friend who took a job at a different hospital and matched at his top choice in Pulm/CC as well. I found that a lot of programs that I interviewed with liked that I had experience making decisions on my own, and taking care of sick patients on my own at a tertiary referral center. No one had anything negative to say about working as a hospitalist for a year between residency and fellowship.

I worked as a hospitalist at an academic center for a year before applying. It will have been 2 years once I start fellowship this year. I matched at my #1 and it didn't seem to be a big issue one way or the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great advice Im on the same dilemma

Although I am not an academic hospitalist, I was in a similar situation this past fall.
I had a government service obligation after residency and have been working for 3 years in a rural federal hospital providing outpatient, inpatient, and ICU care.
The hospital has a collaborative relationship with a big-name academic center and we have occasional visiting pulm faculty from their institution.
I applied this past year to Pulm-CCM and matched at my first choice, an academic program. My experience was looked upon positively
by everyone who interviewed me. If you want to be able to match at a competitive, academic program, my advice would be: (if you have not done this already):

-make sure you have a Pulm-CCM research experience by the time you finish residency
-talk with faculty about letters of rec before you finish residency and touch base with them again when you are applying
-try to maintain some sort of connection to Pulm-CCM - research, faculty connections, etc while you are a hospitalist. Names mean a lot to academic programs.

I don't think you should have any problems matching into a competitive Pulm-CCM program assuming the above. If you have already taken care of these
things you should be all set. I think my experience helped me a little as far as matching but has been even
more valuable in making me a more seasoned clinician and providing perspective I wouldn't have if I had matched straight out of residency.