Psychiatrists that are in HPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTsksk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is an option for Psychiatry, but does anyone actually know of any Psychiatrists in the field? From older posts, there were people going into Psychiatry who were interested and comments of the field being open to Psychiatry in addition to many other fields. I was able to find a 2016 document differentiating the specialties of HPM docs, but psych and neuro were combined with a vastly inferior number compared to most other specialities. I'm a child and adolescent psych fellow who has grown an interest in palliative care, but when I try to find Psychiatric involvement, it tends to be in the form as palliative psychiatry, which is a component of CL psych. I was just curious if this is similar to pain fellowship where technically you are eligible, but doubtful to get in. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently matched HPM fellowship applicant here (IM-trained). My rough sense is that the relatively low numbers of psychiatry folks in HPM is more due to lesser interest from those applicants than competitiveness.

Dr. Paul Riordan from Duke is psych/HPM. And there was at least one applicant I saw on the trail this year who was finishing psychiatry residency and interviewing at several of the most competitive academic programs in the country (although competitiveness in HPM is less well-defined, at least they were all the traditionally know programs on both coasts).

If you have some interest, would def look into applying! Would be just mindful of which programs you choose to apply to, as they all have varying level of institutional resources for integrating mental health into their HPM curriculum.