Provisional Patents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pablo213

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sitting on a couple of waitlists and want to send updates soon. I've been working on an engineering project for the past year and am in the middle of applying for a provisional (utility) patent for a medical device. I understand that, if granted, this obviously isn't as significant as a non-provisional patent. But would it still be worth including on an update letter? Have seen mixed opinions (comparing them to submitted papers vs accepted ones) in previous year threads.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it would hurt you, but unless the admissions leadership is versed in intellectual property, I don't think they will see it as a big deal. Again, I would presume most waitlists are set up, so it's just a question of movement.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain to us why the patents are provisional?
It just depends on where you are in the patenting process. My coinventors and I are just starting, so we'll put forth a sort of preliminary application to get a priority filing date for a non-provisional patent. A provisional patent is really just saying you have priority for filing a non-provisonal patent (which would include more polishing in terms of claims, etc.) within 12 months of receiving the provisional. Obviously, a non provisional would be a better update but that can take 1-5 years to be granted. Atleast that's what my understanding is (I'm not super well versed in the whole process though).

• Okay...
You described it well. A provisional patent application is just a placeholder. The patent office takes no action on it anyway, until at least 1 year later if you convert it to a non-provisional. So by default, all provisional patent applications are "accepted" in a sense. The timelines for approval of a non-provisional patent is much longer (like you said 1-5 years).

It sounds impressive to laypersons. I don't see any harm in including as part of an update. But don't try to oversell it.

There's "activity" and then there's "achievement." If the activity is of interest to your school, based on either their reputation or interest you received in certain activity "categories" (e.g., innovation, leadership, etc), full send it brother

I think "achievement" would be acceptable in any update letter. Granted, I'm giving very general thoughts here