program insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedalpulses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you rate residency programs in MO (truman, de paul), PA (hahnemann, heritage,community med center,crozer) and TX (st. joseph's, hunt regional, kingwood)...?
Any good/ bad things about those programs that you know of? Thanks for the input!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

How would you rate residency programs in MO (truman, de paul), PA (hahnemann, heritage,community med center,crozer) and TX (st. joseph's, hunt regional, kingwood)...?
Any good/ bad things about those programs that you know of? Thanks for the input!! :)

My recommendation is to make an effort to visit some of these residency program so that you can see the program for yourself and determine if it is a program that you may be interested. Of course, for the programs that you are really interested in, you should consider a clerkship with that program.

I can quickly comment on the PA programs (except for Heritage since it is on the other side of the state). With so many programs in PA, it seems like you randomly chose some programs out of the bag. In addition to the PA programs listed, you should consider some of the other PA programs that may offer great training or possibly better training than some of the PA programs that you had listed.

Community Medical Center(Scranton program) - known for ex fix training
Crozer - diverse training with excellent benefits such as very generous CME package, gym membership, etc... However, the program does require you to drive between 5 different hospitals and they usually require you to live in Delaware county.
Hahnemann - residents get to do a lot in surgery (very hands on) but sometimes at the expense of minimal attending surgeon guidance.

Last edited:
Some quick comments. As per DPMGrad the Scranton program is very heavy on external fixation...at the present time. Dr. LaPorta brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the program, and definitely has his "favorites" regarding technology, products and techniques. However, he's been around a long time and has the experience to pick and choose what he wants, based on that knowledge. In my opinion he is an excellent teacher who has "been there, done that" and he is one of the pioneers in our field. Although he is not a youngster, he has certainly stood the test of time, and I believe he has a lot to offer.

Our group has interviewed more than one graduate of the Hahnemann program, and I've spoken with several other people about this program, so please understand this is NOT first hand knowledge. The overwhelming common denominator that I constantly hear is that although there are several attendings, the vast majority of the surgery is performed by the director, and the residents have a lot of hands on and sometimes the guidance isn't that great, as per DPMGrad.

Additionally, even as stated on the residency website, the residents are required to spend time in the directors private office and basically see/treat all patients. The director basically "oversees" the residents, and in essence they act as free labor for him. Yes, they get paid by the program, and they get good experience, but for the residency director it's a good deal. At times I believe there can be more than 3 residents treating patients in his office while he "oversees" things. Both former residents I interviewed said they did everything in the office and he basically greeted patients!!! I don't know if that's true, but the residents DID like him and felt that they received good training, and it was simply a part of the job. I believe they do get a decent amount of trauma.

The best way to find out is to speak with current or former residents and/or visit the program. My opinion or the opinion of others really doesn't matter since your needs and concerns may differ greatly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you dpmgrad and PADPM for your contribution. So, from what you say, sounds like these programs are very surgery oriented...and there's not much of general podiatry and wound care?

All of the Texas programs are solid with some seeing more of certain patient types. JPS sees more trauma, UTSA more diabetics and ex-fix, West Houston and Kingwood have a high volume and diversity, Scott and White good rotations but most of rearfoot and and ankle is done by a foot orthopod vs DPMs, Greenville is decent. St. Joseph will have it's first class 7-2011.

I would talk to the chief residents, see who the directors are and if they have state/national credentials, and see how their graduates fair.

I believe the Hahnemann program residents rotate through a Wound Care Center (at least that's what it says on their site).

All of the Texas programs are solid with some seeing more of certain patient types. JPS sees more trauma, UTSA more diabetics and ex-fix, West Houston and Kingwood have a high volume and diversity, Scott and White good rotations but most of rearfoot and and ankle is done by a foot orthopod vs DPMs, Greenville is decent. St. Joseph will have it's first class 7-2011.

I would talk to the chief residents, see who the directors are and if they have state/national credentials, and see how their graduates fair.

UTSA has been killed by the fellowship. The fellow gets most of the good cases and the residents seem to get screwed.