Average Malpractice Insurance Costs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMC2010

τετέλεσται
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of the average malpractice insurance costs? I am looking for an 1M/3M occurrence policy. I would be doing implant placement and some surgical EXT, probably to include some impacted 3rds. I have been practicing for 5 years in the military, and am about to go into civilian practice as an associate.

I am an AGD member and ADA member.

Checked Dentist's Advantage, quoted at $2,441 for one year payment (or $2716 if you break it up in months, ~226/mo) - that's with the 15% AGD discount.

Checked The Doctor's and it said $50/month... without asking any extra questions about what I would be doing. That doesn't sound correct.

Checked some others and couldn't get quotes without calling them.

What's a normal amount to pay? Is $2,441 way too much, or is that normal? I just want a ballpark for what I should be looking for - Dentist's Advantage seemed to have some good coverage.

Members don't see this ad.

In general an occurrence policy will be around $2000 but varies based on location. Implants and extracted thirds will raise your monthly premium, so $2400 sounds ok but if you have time another quote won’t hurt.

Those really cheap ones usually go up the next few years, and usually are claims-made policies where you need to buy tail coverage if you cancel in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have an idea of the average malpractice insurance costs? I am looking for an 1M/3M occurrence policy. I would be doing implant placement and some surgical EXT, probably to include some impacted 3rds. I have been practicing for 5 years in the military, and am about to go into civilian practice as an associate.

I am an AGD member and ADA member.

Checked Dentist's Advantage, quoted at $2,441 for one year payment (or $2716 if you break it up in months, ~226/mo) - that's with the 15% AGD discount.

Checked The Doctor's and it said $50/month... without asking any extra questions about what I would be doing. That doesn't sound correct.

Checked some others and couldn't get quotes without calling them.

What's a normal amount to pay? Is $2,441 way too much, or is that normal? I just want a ballpark for what I should be looking for - Dentist's Advantage seemed to have some good coverage.

don't skimp on it. if it sounds to good to be true- then it is. I pay about 2500-3000

Reactions: 1 users