Private Practice vs NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenshin_Med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a friend who is currently in a position for job offers. I was hoping I could gain some insight from those of you with work experience. He is wondering is it worth it in the long run to go the private practice who has a dentist that is willing to mentor him and help with things such as implants. Any thoughts would be helpful thank you. Below are rough estimates of each position.

NHSC: 3 year commitment w/ 150 base pay + 40k towards loans (tax free) + free health insurance

Private Practice: 75k guaranteed first 6 months and then production beyond that. Apparently the 3 year dental associate makes around 175-250.

Members don't see this ad.

Everything else being equal I would do the former if I had student loans. An added benefit is that you will be busy and get reps in as a new graduate. You can always learn implants later.

Hello all, I have a friend who is currently in a position for job offers. I was hoping I could gain some insight from those of you with work experience. He is wondering is it worth it in the long run to go the private practice who has a dentist that is willing to mentor him and help with things such as implants. Any thoughts would be helpful thank you. Below are rough estimates of each position.

NHSC: 3 year commitment w/ 150 base pay + 40k towards loans (tax free) + free health insurance

Private Practice: 75k guaranteed first 6 months and then production beyond that. Apparently the 3 year dental associate makes around 175-250.
This depends on so many things

For the private practice: Is there a pathway to ownership/partnership? What percent production after the first 6 months? Any benefits?

For the FQHC: any opportunity for salary negotiations after 1 year, 6 months, etc?

Also what kind kind of procedures does he want to do now. How about in a year or 2 years? If he's okay doing just simple bread & butter dentistry then the FQHC may be best considering the benefits. If he has hopes of doing esthetic cases, implants, etc then absolutely go with the private practice.

Would there be mentorship with either? Did he feel like he got along better with the employees/staff at one office more than the other