NHSC Scholarship vs Military HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twindmd1

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone have experience with the Military HPSP or NHSC Scholarship? I wasn't able to apply for the 4-year Army HPSP because it took time to get medical waivers approved. I am now medically qualified but will be applying to the Army, Navy, and Air Force HPSP next year. I also have found out information about the NHSC and have thought about applying to it. I am not sure which is the better route and for the HPSP I will have to take out a year of loans for the 3-year. Any help you can provide is helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with the Military HPSP or NHSC Scholarship? I wasn't able to apply for the 4-year Army HPSP because it took time to get medical waivers approved. I am now medically qualified but will be applying to the Army, Navy, and Air Force HPSP next year. I also have found out information about the NHSC and have thought about applying to it. I am not sure which is the better route and for the HPSP I will have to take out a year of loans for the 3-year. Any help you can provide is helpful.

I was in the exact same position a year ago. I ended up applying for the 4 year NHSC, got rejected (it’s very competitive due to limited spots), officially applied for 3 year HPSP and was just recently awarded it. Apply for both since they are both competitive and no guarantees to get into either

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the exact same position a year ago. I ended up applying for the 4 year NHSC, got rejected (it’s very competitive due to limited spots), officially applied for 3 year HPSP and was just recently awarded it. Apply for both since they are both competitive and no guarantees to get into either
Thanks for the advice. Congratulations on getting awarded the 3-year HPSP. Which branch did you decide to go with? I'm leaning more toward the Air Force.

Thanks for the advice. Congratulations on getting awarded the 3-year HPSP. Which branch did you decide to go with? I'm leaning more toward the Air Force.

I’m doing Air Force. If you’re competitive enough as an applicant, I’d choose Air Force since it’s generally seen as the best all around. But ofc it does come down to some personal preference. Go Navy if you’re okay with being on a ship. Air Force requires a one year AEGD that doesn’t count toward payback years, so if you don’t want to do that Navy could be better too. Depending on the outcome of your NHSC app and how strong your stats are, you might want to consider applying to all three HPSP branches (Army as a backup)

Want to specialize? Then hpsp since you'll have an option of applying to civilian school after your payback or apply within military programs.

Wanna get scholarship and dip after the minimum service obligation? Then nhsc

Want to specialize? Then hpsp since you'll have an option of applying to civilian school after your payback or apply within military programs.

Wanna get scholarship and dip after the minimum service obligation? Then nhsc
I am looking to specialize in orthodontics or pediatric dentistry, so the hpsp is probably better.

I am looking to specialize in orthodontics or pediatric dentistry, so the hpsp is probably better.
Peds and Ortho are highly competitive in the military and have minimal deployed applications so there are less spots available each year vs other specialties.

From what I've seen historically, the Ortho and Peds residents are typically more senior officers than the typical recent grad HPSP officer.

Often if Ortho or Peds is the goal, HPSP grads will do the 4 years as a GP and then use the GI Bill to pay for their specialty schooling.

As mentioned above, getting into ortho or peds straight out of school as a young O-3 (captain or lieutenant depending on the branch) is pretty difficult... I've seen it happen but it's not the norm.

Worst case scenario, still take the HPSP but apply civilian program after your payback is complete. You'll be able to utilize your GI bill benefit for the civilian training too!