USMLE Prepping for Step 1 prior to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was considering on getting the First Aid 2017 USMLE Step 1 book to prepare prior to medical school for the boards. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on this matter? Any books or study habits people found most effective during that time and while in medical school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be dumb- preparing for the USMLE w/o any previous exposure to the material is absolutely pointless. My advice: enjoy your remaining days of freedom.

Too late I have been studying for steps since high school

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was considering on getting the First Aid 2017 USMLE Step 1 book to prepare prior to medical school for the boards. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on this matter? Any books or study habits people found most effective during that time and while in medical school. Thanks!

Not recommended. Have you been accepted to medical school?

Using First Aid without having any foundational knowledge is like purchasing a cook book and expecting to do something with said cook book without having any ingredients or utensils/pots/pans.

Let medical school do it's job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah this is very true, you won't understand until you're in class, but first aid and whatever other prep sources you're considering are pointless without the interconnected background knowledge from class. If you're really going to gun hard then you should just start studying anatomy to make that easier on you.

Well, you are super motivated; i gotta give you that. Ofcourse, you could get FirstAid beforehand as well but don't be surprised if you don't fully understand everything.
I can suggest watching some videos about fundamental topics to form a prior base: that might also go well for MCAT if you haven't already taken it. Check out some free videos provided by Lecturio; if you like learning by watching, then it could be a good option for you right now. You can also couple the First Aid study session with the respective topic videos which you can search on youtube.
And don't forget to enjoy this time before med-school. You are gonna miss it later. ;)

Reactions: 1 user