Prelim IM spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dowite11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on applying for prelim IM positions next year. I will be working on my list using frieda. Any input on making the program list and also how to contact programs to get interviews will be highly appreciated.

Please suggest which months are best to reach out to request interviews? some people suggested june and july while others suggested september-till rank order list and I am confused.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at your post history (nothing nefarious, just what you've posted here), you've mentioned that you're an IMG, your scores are "low-ish", you have 2 years IM experience in your home country, one year of USCE, and perhaps most importantly, you first posted in 2014 looking for a Psych PGY-1 stating you were ECFMG certified and passed all the steps.

Given all that, I'm sorry to tell you that you're unlikely to get any spot. You would have graduated a minimum of 7 years ago, probably more. Given the gap since graduating medical school, you're unlikely to get many interviews for prelim IM. Prelim GS and Neuro are less competitive than IM, along with FM -- however I don't think you're going to get interviews in any of those either.

Regardless, no harm can come from trying other than application fees.

I will try to answer your question. Application season opens Sept 15th, assuming we have no COVID delays next year. Any reach out that you do before then is before anyone is even thinking about recruiting next year -- random emails asking to "be on the lookout" for your application are likely going to the trash. I have seen some SDN posters suggest that going to the PD meeting and getting to actually meet PD's can be helpful in FM. I don't think it's very helpful in IM. If you have a local connection to a program - either you live there, or someone works there, or something like that -- then that might be a way in the door.

Once app season opens, then it's anyone's guess as to when to reach out. Early on we are all bombarded with apps that we are processing -- I could imagine a PD who would just ignore emails, and one who might look at an app if they get one. Later on once we've made some decisions, it's possible that an email might push a PD to invite you if you were on the cusp. If you don't meet a program's minimum standards, then nothing you do is going to change the outcome.

If you have not been clinically active for 5+ years, I think you're going to find it very difficult to get a spot. But I totally understand your desire to try. Have you applied before?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I am planning on applying for prelim IM positions next year. I will be working on my list using frieda. Any input on making the program list and also how to contact programs to get interviews will be highly appreciated.

Please suggest which months are best to reach out to request interviews? some people suggested june and july while others suggested september-till rank order list and I am confused.

TIA
YOG 2006. I’m sorry but no one will touch you. Just giving it to you straight. You need to find another career path. If you want you can give it a go but I agree that you should consider applying to IM prelim only and become a fully licensed General Practitioner (1 year of residency). You can try family but too if you’re willing to do that.

YOG 2006. I’m sorry but no one will touch you. Just giving it to you straight. You need to find another career path. If you want you can give it a go but I agree that you should consider applying to IM prelim only and become a fully licensed General Practitioner (1 year of residency). You can try family but too if you’re willing to do that.
Many (most?) states have switched to 2 years in a categorical residency (even for AMG's) and 3 for IMG's. Even three consecutive surgery pre-lim's will not pass muster in many states. Medicine pre-lims tend to be quite difficult to get since the competition is Derm (because they can), Neuro (because they must) and high scoring Anesthesia and Radiology candidates (because they may need them for advanced positions in places without an associated year 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Many (most?) states have switched to 2 years in a categorical residency (even for AMG's) and 3 for IMG's. Even three consecutive surgery pre-lim's will not pass muster in many states. Medicine pre-lims tend to be quite difficult to get since the competition is Derm (because they can), Neuro (because they must) and high scoring Anesthesia and Radiology candidates (because they may need them for advanced positions in places without an associated year 1.
I found this out today when trying to apply for a full license. 😢 OP you are welcome to shoot for family but don’t expect a match. Do it as a “if I didn’t do it I wouldn’t have known” sort of thing.